n i n e t e e n

Jimin's Point of View

Ring, ring!

I looked down on my phone as it was ringing. I picked it up without bothering to look at the caller's number.

"Hello?"

"Jimin? Jimin! It's me, Seolhi! Remember me?"

"S-Seolhi? I'm sorry, I think you got the wrong number. Have a nice day."

"W-What are you talking about? Don't you remember me, Park Jimin? I was your childhood friend!"

"Wait, THE Nam Seolhi?"

"Got that right! Jimin, I missed you so much. We should hang out sometime! How about later? You are still in Seoul, right?"

"Yeah, I am.."

"Great! Let's meet at (c/n) in (c/a) after lunch! Does 1:30 pm sound good?"

"Yeah. I'll see you later, I guess."

"Bye, Jimin!"

I then ended the call.

Nam Seolhi was my very first childhood friend.  I remember the time we first met.

I was often bullied at school because of my chubbiness. Mostly the boys were the ones who bullied me, girls did but not that often. I never had a friend. I actually didn't even know what a friend meant. All I know, is that a friend is someone who you can always count on. Is there another meaning to it?

It was a Saturday. Usually, kids would be outside there house playing with other kids, and of course their friends. But me? I was inside my house, helping my mom with household chores. My mom knew that I was often getting bullied. She went to school once and told the principal, but there was no luck. The bullying continues.

Once I was done with chores, I went up to my room. I glanced at the window and noticed that it was still locked. I then tried to open it, but I suddenly heard a thump.

Thump. Thump. Thump.

There it was again!

I pushed the window open, and I looked down. There were the bullies! Their leader,  threw a big rock at me. Unfortunately, the window was open so the rock hit my forehead. I touched my forehead and looked at my finger. There was blood.

The rock throwing didn't stop.

They continued hitting my forehead until I eventually fell down, getting a clean cloth and wipe the blood away. I quickly closed the window, tears running down my eyes.

I then heard shouting downstairs.

It wasn't my mom, she was at work. She left right after breakfast. So, the bullies?!

I went downstairs and opened the door. There, I saw a girl yelling at my bullies. It was no other girl. It was THE Nam Seolhi! The most popular girl in my class!

My heart pounded as the bullies ran away.

Seolhi huffed and glanced at me. She smiled.

"Jimin! Hey, are you okay? Those bullies didn't hurt you, right?"

My heart continued pounding.