25. War

War.

War is something that Jacob knows very well, too well. First he was in a war against his parents, protecting his brothers. Then he was in the Gulf War, fighting for his country. Then he was at war with himself, battling his own demons. Now he is at war with the Deputy, fighting for his family. Fighting to protect his family, the ones he loves.

Rieka has never known war, she has only ever known helping people. Her father was a doctor and taught her everything she knew, she healed people. She helped those who had somehow managed to escape from John.

Rieka will know war. She will discover what it is to fight for what she believes in, to fight for the ones she loves.

The thing about war, about fighting, is that it makes people do unpredictable and stupid things. It can make you do things that you would never have done before, like sacrificing your friend so that you might survive. Sometimes you don't want to know what you are capable of.

Having something to fight for can be a curse as well as a blessing. It can make you blind to reality or to the more sensible option. It can distort your priorities. Jacob fights for his family by sacrificing himself, not considering that there was people who will fight for him.

Rieka stepped through the wilderness, walking towards the sounds of gunshots. The hooded woman was followed by two of John's men who escorted the cuffed Hudson, and Pratt who carried her medical bag. Then the gun shots stopped...silence.

Rieka's breath caught in her throat as she picked up her pace. They finally made it to an opening, a battle field covered in dead or dying bodies. The group looked around until their gazes landed on the top of the mountain, the sun reflected off of gunmetal, giving away their location.

The group moved quickly, dragging Hudson with them, up through the trees until they were positioned behind some trees and rocks. Rieka peered around the corner and her world stopped spinning. Her heart broke.

There was Jacob, leaning on a large rock for support, speaking as the Deputy approached him.

"...humanity is once again in crisis. It doesn't matter what we build or achieve...we will always find away to break it down. Babylon, Rome...Empires rise, empires fall...America. We're no different. We think we're indestructible...World War Two. War on "Terror"...we survived it...but it only brought us closer to the edge. And this is where we are. Right here on schedule, just waiting for someone to push us..and oh boy, have you pushed us...You did everything he said you would do. And you didn't even know it. You had no fucking clue" Jacob spoke, his words coming out pained and breathless, broken up by coughs and weakened gasps for air.

Rieka has never seen him this weak, no one has, it was frightening to see. Thankfully the Deputy was facing Jacob with their back to the small hidden group. Rieka took a breath before signalling for the group to remain hidden and silent. She stood up straight and stepped out from her hiding place as she lowered her hood, Hudson attempted to cry out but one of John's men slammed their hand over her mouth.

The Deputy took a step away from Jacob before aiming his gun at the Herald's head. The hooded woman grabbed her handgun from her thigh holster and readied it, aiming it at the back of the Deputy's head, as she got into position behind him. Jacob focused his gaze strongly on the Deputy until he noticed the Red behind him and his eyes widened slightly.

"Put the gun down" Rieka ordered, as sternly as she could. Even Jacob was surprised by the sternness in her voice, it's just not who she is. The Deputy took a breath before lowering the gun and turning to the voice, even his eyes widened in shock when he saw Red.

Deputy wondered how she could still look so angelic and innocent when she is aiming a gun at his head. He sighed before placing his gun on the floor and kicking it towards her, putting his hands in the air. "What's the big plan?" Rieka asked, shaking her head.