t w o

For the first time in a while I woke up to warmth and comfort.

Both of which were coming from Anakin sleeping next to me, his arm draped over my waist.

I stretched and slowly removed his arm, tugging on his undershirt that was lying on the floor.

I was about to go to the kitchen to make breakfast when I got a familiar urge.

I sprinted to the bathroom and emptied my stomach into the toilet for the third day in a row.

Before I thought that perhaps it was a fluke or maybe I was actually just sick, but I hadn't shown any other symptoms of sickness and pregnancy seemed like the most plausible explanation.

But how do I tell Anakin?

Speaking of, almost immediately after I rushed to the toilet I heard him turning in bed.

My absence probably woke him up, but the noises coming from the bathroom caused him to rush in with me.

He was only wearing his underwear as he held my hair and stroked my back.

"Verena darling, are you sick? What's wrong?" He asked softly.

I responded by throwing up again, tears stinging my eyes.

I sat there for another five minutes, and when my stomach stopped churning I got up to flush the toilet before moving to brush my teeth.

Anakin just watched me, concern in his blue eyes.

"Anakin, I'm alright," I croaked out, my throat burning.

"No honey, you're not. You just threw up, how long has this been happening?" He pressed.

Not wanting to lie to him, I told the truth, "Three days," I whispered, hoping he wouldn't hear me.

"Three days?" He repeated sternly, obviously upset that I hadn't told him earlier.

"This is ridiculous, I'm taking you to a doctor," he stated, his face deadly serious.

"No Anakin y-" I began.

"You're not fighting me on this, I will drag you if I have to," he threatened.

I was beginning to get angry at his inability to listen to me.

"I am an adult Anakin, you cannot make me do anything," I snapped.

"Verena, I am your husband, in sickness and in health. Remember?" he got closer, trying to intimidate me.

"Damnit Anakin I can't go to a doctor," I retorted, tears of frustration pricking the corner of my eyes.

"Oh really? And why is that?" He asked, crossing his arms over his chest.

"Because, I-I just can't," I stammered.

"Well then if you can't give me a legitimate reason, I'm taking you to a doctor," he shrugged, turning to leave.

I exhaled deeply, extremely annoyed at his childish behavior.

"Anakin!" I called to his retreating figure.

When he didn't acknowledge me, I tried again.

"Damnit Anakin listen to me!" I yelled at him, finally snapping, "I'll tell you," I gave in, looking at the ground.

I saw him stop and turn to face me, waiting for an explanation.

I looked at him furiously, angry tears rolling down my cheeks.

His expression softened when he noticed me crying, but I ignored it.

"I didn't want to tell you here, but since you won't just drop it, I guess I have to," I snapped before taking a deep breath, "I-I'm pregnant Anakin," I whispered.

I began sobbing, not really knowing why.

He didn't say anything, which only worsened my emotional state.

I didn't hear him approach me, his embrace taking me by surprise.

"Verena, love, why are you crying?" He asked softly, pulling away from the hug to wipe my tears.

"Y-you didn't say anything so I thoug-" I hiccuped, my whole body shaking from crying.

"Darling, I was just surprised," he explained, bending down slightly to look me in the eyes, "this is the most wonderful news I've ever heard," he smiled brightly.

"You're carrying our baby, a little version of us. A miracle." He beamed at me before moving to place a tender kiss on my lips.

I smiled at him when he pulled away, admiring his face.

"Now go sit in bed, I'll make breakfast," he suggested, kissing my forehead before walking into the kitchen.

I smiled at his back, making my way back to the bedroom.