o n e

Waking up without Anakin was as lonely as it was cold.

But it was even worse that I was sick.

I had my head over the toilet, emptying the contents of my stomach into the bowl for the second day in a row.

I don't know how I got sick, but my best bet was the questionable salmon I had at the private Senate dinner held a few days ago.

However, I showed no other symptoms of food poisoning, which did worry me, as I could think of only one other explanation for my sickness.

Was it possible?

I thought back to Anakin and I's wedding night, blushing.

Yes, definitely possible.

I didn't want to see a doctor, as this was something I needed to keep a secret if it was true.

So I decided to wait it out and only tell Anakin if I was 100% certain.

Knowing I had a meeting today, I quickly ate breakfast and got dressed in my formal Senate dress.

I arrived at the Senate building with plenty of time to spare.

I quickly found Padmé mingling with various different dictators and representatives from multiple systems.

She caught my eye and excused herself, making her way over to me.

"Verena! Oh it's wonderful to see you," she smiled brightly, enveloping me in a hug.

"Just a warning though," her voice suddenly became low as she looked around, "I had to put Clovis down not to nicely, and I think his next target is you."

I winced and rolled my eyes.

Dealing with an arrogant player like Senator Clovis was the last thing I needed right now.

"Are you seri-" I started.

"Oh don't look now, but he's coming over here. That's my queue to leave, bye!" She hurried away, leaving me shocked and confused.

"Ahh Senator Verena,"

I grit my teeth to keep from snapping at him and instead put on a fake smile as I turned to face him.

"Senator Clovis, what a pleasure," I said with fake enthusiasm.

My response clearly agreed with his ego and he smirked down at me.

I had use every shred of self control I had to stop myself from rolling my eyes at him.

"You look lonely, how about you join me in my pod for this meeting?" He asked, his arrogance heightening with every word.

"Tempting offer, but I'm already sitting with Padmé today," I brushed him off.

"Ah, but she's already sitting with Satine, haven't you heard?" He smiled maniacally, clearly enjoying the advantage he had over me.

I was officially boxed in a corner with no way of getting out.

And it was all Padmé's fault.

"Then of course, I would love to," I replied curtly.

"Excellent, follow me, I'll escort you," he turned to lead me and I scowled at his back.

I trailed a few feet behind him, trying to keep my distance.

But once we reached his pod, I knew I would have to be more creative to evade his advances.

He motioned for me to take the seat next to him and I unwillingly complied.

I scooted to the opposite side of the chair and leaned my head on my hand, facing away from him.

He clearly didn't receive the uninterested signal I was giving off and spoke anyway.

"You look absolutely ravishing today Verena,"

His words alone almost made me throw up for the second time today, but I pushed down those thoughts.

"Thank you Clovis," I replied curtly.

"Of course, beauty should not go unappreciated," he began, "Now tell me, are you perhaps busy tonight?"

Knowing that he was trying to ask me out, I quickly racked my brain for an excuse that could get me out of dinner with him.

I could say I had a boyfriend, but that would raise questions.

"Actually my parents are visiting this week, they're staying in my apartment. I wouldn't want to leave them alone longer than I have to." I smiled.

"Oh," was all he said before turning to face forwards.

**

The meeting was long and uneventful and I was beyond happy when I finally made it back to my apartment.

I flicked on the lights and just about screamed in surprise.

Anakin was sitting on my couch, using the force to float an apple up and down.

"Hello darling," he smirked, making his way over to me.

He wrapped his hands around my waist and dipped me slightly, catching me by surprise.

I clutched onto his neck, scared of falling.

He chuckled at my reaction and connected our lips in a sweet kiss.

I hadn't seen him for a few days, as we were both busy with our duties.

"Anakin, perhaps we should move to the kitchen, I don't want anyone seeing us." I suggested, looking at the open windows.

He pulled me up and smirked slightly, "How about we move this to the bedroom instead?"

"Anakin!" I chastised, "Do you think of anything else?"

"When I have a wife as beautiful as you, how could I?"

I rolled my eyes, but followed him into the bedroom anyways.

My hormones were driving me crazy lately, probably due to my possible pregnancy, so saying no to Anakin was out of the question.

We once again fell into a night of bliss and passion before sleeping side by side for the first time in weeks.