SEVENTEEN

Tyler and Audrey left me alone with Jaxon. I took the chance to take a tour of Jaxon's house and I realized he didn't live with his parents. I wonder where they lived...

His house hardly had anything. Just simple modern furniture. I expected more from him but, Tyler did say that Jaxon didn't like to stay put for too long so I guess he always is out and about. 

I tiptoed into Jaxon's bedroom and he was still sleeping peacefully just like I left him. I spotted a picture on his nightstand and picked up. This was the only picture he had out so I am curious. It was him and the guy in the hoodie giving each other a bro hug.

They looked so happy... so close...

What happened to them?

"What are you doing?"

I jumped, swiveling around to Jaxon. His eyes dropped down to the picture in my hands. I quickly placed it back where it belonged, smiling nervously. "I was just... looking."

Jaxon went to get up but, he winced laying back down. I sat down beside him and he glared at the bandages around his torso. "How long am I going to be stuck like this?"

"Only until the pain swells down. I'm not sure how long exactly, it depends on your recovery rate."

He sighed. "Just great..."

I played with his sheets under me, staring off at the white wall. Maybe he didn't want to stay alone in this house with me. I'm pretty sure there are plenty of girls that have been in his room beside me.

"So what do you want to do?" Jaxon asked, snapping me out of my thoughts.

"What you're going to do is rest," I got up from the bed, heading towards the door. "Do you want something to eat?" I asked, turning around.

"And she cooks?" He gasped. "I'm the luckiest man alive to have a perfect woman take care of me."

I rolled my eyes but, a smile was still on my face. I headed to the kitchen and opened his fridge surprised there was hardly anything in there. Does this guy even eat? If I had my own place, I'd have my whole refrigerator full. I opened the cabinets and he hardly had anything in there either. I pondered for a minute and decided to just make pancakes even though I'm pretty sure it was the afternoon already but, I had to make do with what I have.

I washed my hands and started cooking while dancing to music that was in my head. Odd I know but, I forgot my headphones...

I turned around to Jaxon sitting at the island and jumped back. I put my hand over my racing heart. "Oh my goodness! What are you doing out of bed?!"

"It's boring in there all by myself." He shrugged.

I crossed my arms. "Jaxon, you're going to hurt yourself moving around. Go lay down."

"I don't feel a thing." He smiled but, my bullshit radar was going off.

"Bed. Now." I pointed to his room and he whined. "Kitten, please. I'll be good." He poked out his bottom lip while he batted his eyelashes. Stupid bad boy puppy eyes.

I sighed, turning back to the stove. "Fine."

"Thanks, Kitten."

I waved my hand. "Yeah. Yeah." I flipped my pancake and gave myself a pat on the back, seeing it cooked well enough. I felt eyes on my back and I rolled my eyes. "Stop staring at my ass, Captain Douche."

"I can't help it. It's just... wow."

I spun and glared at him. "If you weren't already in pain, I'd kick your ass."

He rested his head on his hand, not the slightest bit offended by my insult. "You're beautiful, you know that?" I blushed, not knowing where to look. He always catches me off guard. Why is he such a flirt?

"You're going to burn your pancakes."

"What?!"

***

"That was good." Jaxon rubbed his stomach and finally laid down on his bed like I asked plenty of times as I walked in from putting our plates in the sink. "Now, let's go out somewhere."

"Jaxon. No." I scolded, grabbing the pain medicine. He rolled his eyes and I flicked him in his forehead. "Don't roll your eyes at me." He blinked at me and I shoved the pills in his hand. He swallowed them without water and I shivered. I don't know how he does that without feeling like he's going to cough it back up.

"Ugh... I don't want to stay indoors," Jaxon whined like a child. I giggled and he raised an eyebrow at me. "What's so funny?"

"I've never witnessed this side of you before."

He shrugged. "Maybe you should stick around more." There was a look in his eyes that I couldn't tell.

He pats down next to him on the bed. "Come join me. I want to take a nap."

"I'm not taking a nap with you." I put my hand on my hip. He smirked and he reached over to grab me but, he drew back while groaning in pain. I shook my head. "That's what you get."

"Whatever." He laid on his back, holding his abdomen.

"You have a bad habit of trying to touch me."

"I can't help it." He winked.

I sighed. "If I lay down with you, will you shut up and go to sleep?"

"Yeah," Jaxon smiled and I nodded, climbing in the bed beside him. Tucking under his blanket, I faced him as he stared at the ceiling. His sheets overwhelming smelled like him. It smelt like a fresh rainforest. It was nice and comforting. I looked at the few band-aids on his face and the bruises.

How is he not whaling in pain? 

"I've had worse." Jaxon turned his head to me.

Okay... I said that out loud. His words clicked in my head and I frowned. "What do you mean, you had worse?"

"I've been shot, beaten up, and stabbed multiple times." He said with ease. I visualized Jaxon being in all of those conditions. It frightened me. I closed my eyes, taking a deep breath and felt his hand on mine. "You alright?"

"I just..." I slowly opened my eyes, hoping that I wasn't going to cry. "I don't understand why you suffer from all this pain?"

He looked at me for a minute before gazing blankly at the ceiling. "It's the only way I'll get to him." I knew who he meant the guy in the hoodie as him. He got quiet again and I wanted him to elaborate. What could he possibly be doing to help that mystery guy? Weren't they friends? I sighed, knowing I wasn't going to get answers right away but, I was going to find them out sooner or later.

Jaxon's arm wrapped around my shoulder and he pulled me into his chest. I blushed, feeling his warmth. I opened my mouth to complain but, he cut me off. "Only until I fall asleep."

I nodded slowly and tried to calm my heart from bursting. I wasn't sure if he could hear it or not but, it was ringing in my ears. I peeked up to see if Jaxon was asleep yet so I untangle myself from around him. His eyes were closed but, his eyebrows were furrowed as if he was bothered by something. Oh goodness, he could hear my heart racing.

"Can you stop stabbing me with your nails?" Jaxon asked and I moved my hand, mumbling a small apology. He seemed fine now which was good. I rested my head on his chest and was surprised to hear his slightly rapid heartbeat. I smiled, seeing the effect I had on him. I didn't think I did.

"Your heart is racing," I said, deciding to mess with him.

"So is yours."

Okay. That backfired.

I felt sleep gradually consuming me and I closed my eyes, welcoming it.

***

a/n: this chapter felt so boring :(