Writing a Character Arc for a Canon Character

Start from the beginning

It's a bad choice, but it's one that Uncle Rick's Percy Jackson would make. So although this very specific scene never actually happened, by knowing the canon character well it's fairly simple to create believable actions and dialogue.
But that doesn't quite answer the question of how to create a character arc, only how to write believable character actions. I can't speak for anyone else but when I'm writing fanfiction my favorite thing to do is change an entire character without anybody knowing until nine people are dead and everyone's screaming. The easiest (and honestly only) way to do this is by changing a characters actions, not their motivations.

You want to create an AU where Tony Stark decides that Ultron is right in trying to kill everyone? If you just jump in and start killing everyone your story will sound ridiculous. But give some convincing dialogue on it being the only way to truly protect the Earth, talking about how the Avengers were just a band-aid or something and you might actually sell it. Because we know Tony Stark wants to protect Earth, making that believable. By only changing his actions and not the motivation behind those actions you can make even the most insane ideas seem sane.

An easy way to find out what a characters' motivations are, is to look for a pattern. Where does this character end up and why do they end up there? Does the character ever specifically state their motivations? If you still can't figure it out there are eight pretty common motivators that you can look at and try to see where a specific character fits.

Money and rewards. In other words, is the character acting for personal gain? Ex. Octavian (Percy Jackson and the Olympians) , Celaena Sardothien (Throne of Glass), Kino (The Pearl)
The desire to be the best. Does this character have a need to always be at the top, the number one? Ex. Sherlock Holmes, Star Lord (MCU).

Wanting to help others. Will this character do anything in order for others to benefit? Ex. Wonder Woman (DC Comics), Day (Legend).

Loyalty to others. Does a deep, sometimes irrational, bond motivate this character? Ex. Marty McFly (Back to the Future), Captain America (MCU).

They have a passion (this can be a passion for something or someone). Does your character do what they do because they believe in it? Ex. Thanos (MCU), Hideo Tanaka (Warcross).

Fear and desperation. Is the character being influenced by desperation or fear? Ex. Adelina Amouteru (Young Elites), Katniss Everdeen (Hunger Games), George and Lennie (Of Mice and Men) .

A sense of duty. Does this character do what they do because they feel they have to? Ex. Atticus Finch (To Kill a Mockingbird), Percy Jackson (Percy Jackson and the Olympians), Eragon (The Inheritance Cycle)

Wanting to belong. Is this character acting out of a need to fit in or belong to a certain group? Ex. Alina Starkov (Shadow and Bone), Tina Goldstein (Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them).

It's important to note that although these are common motivators they aren't the only motivators. Few, if any, characters have only one motivation. For example, on this chart I placed Captain America under the loyalty heading because of his devotion to Bucky he's also motivated by a sense of duty (to America), his desire to help others, and to some degree the desire to be the best.

Once you've figured out why a character is acting a certain way all you have to do is figure out other ways that motivation could make them act. Think of what the creator of the canon did and then think about what they could've done. Another thing you can do is think of the worst possible situation and ask yourself how the character would react. Split second reactions reveal a lot about a character. If this sounds complicated trust me when I say it's not, all you're doing to taking something to its logical conclusion. Don't worry, it's way easier than it sounds. And it's worth it, I promise.

I've used a lot of words and examples and maybe you're confused, which is completely understandable (I know I am), so I'm going to attempt to boil this down to three core points:

1– Convincing dialogue creates convincing characters, if you can see the character saying your dialogue, you're doing a good job!

2– Don't be afraid to mess with a character but be careful to stay within their established moral code. If a character will do anything but kill don't have them go on a murder spree.

3– Last but certainly not least change a characters actions, not their motivations. Take the canon motivations for a character and take them to a logical conclusion. It doesn't have to be the one that the author came to but it does have to make some sort of sense. All of this seems obvious but it's easy to get so caught up in your amazingly amazing plot that you forget that these characters are people.

Keep their basic character dialogue, core values, and motivations the same and then do whatever your heart desires with the rest.

Which the character that you most admire to write for his moral code?