9. Girl's Gone Bad

So, we've reached the halfway point in this finale. There's sixteen chapters in this novel. Anyway, sorry about the short chapter last time. As promised, this one is much longer. I hope you enjoy!

"We can leave this world, leave it all behind. We can steal this car if your folks don't mind. We can live forever if you've got the time. I'm the only friend that makes you cry. You're a heart attack in black hair dye. So just save yourself, and I'll hold them back tonight." --- Save Yourself, I'll Hold Them Back

---

Girl's Gone Bad

Kobra's P.O.V.

The morning after Party completely failed at getting Paranoia back to normal, Ghoul and I met Jet back at the hospital, right outside Paranoia's door. "Where's Party?" Jet asks, waving to the two of us as we reach him.

"Let him sleep," I say before Ghoul can respond. "It's early, and he'll only try to go about fixing her the wrong way again." Honestly, though, I'm not sure what the right way is.

Jet sighs and nods. "So what do we do now?" Ghoul asks with a yawn.

We stand and stare at each other for a minute. At the same time, their gazes turn to me. Immediately, I get defensive. "What?"

"You," Ghoul replies. "You need to go in there."

"Why me? What am I supposed to do?" My tone is indignant, a hint of annoyance in my expression. "What can I do that Party can't?"

Jet shrugs. "Whatever you did during the radio transmission to get her to speak. Whatever it was, it worked."

I run a hand through my hair. "I just talked to her..."

Ghoul puts his hand on my shoulder with a bright smile. "Then talk to her again! There's no harm in trying, right?"

I press my lips together for a brief moment and nod, ever so slightly. "Unlock the door," I say to Jet, my tone monotonous as I stare at my feet and the tile beneath them. Jet inclines his head toward me and turns around, pulling a key out of his pocket. I don't know how many people's doors he locks. I can't imagine all his patients are schizophrenic murderers, if you can call her that. She certainly has some form of a personality disorder going on right now. Jet unlocks the door and steps aside, bowing toward me, granting me the privilege to open it. Hand shaking but trying to disguise it, I reach for the doorknob and twist, pulling the door open.

I slip inside before Jet or Ghoul can see her and shut the door behind me, switching the lock into place. I don't want Party to wake up and come bursting in when he realizes that I'm in here instead of him. Depending on what's going to happen now, he could mess everything up. My guard instantly goes up when I see her scowling at me from her cuffed spot on the bed. When she see me, however, she relaxes a little. "Oh," she says. "It's you. I thought it was going to be your brother." There's something about the way she says "brother" that sounds like she's sipping poision or chewing on broken glass. I try not to feel any satisfaction about that. "Why'd they send you?"

"I was able to get a little information out of you during the transmission. They thought I could do it again."

She laughs. "The transmission was fake. I was acting the whole time - under Korse's instructions, of course. I answered you because that was what I was told to do. Why else would you be given false directions?"

"You know why I'm here," I say, getting straight to the point. I push this recent discovery of what really happened to the back of my mind, pretending like she never said it.