Chapter Thirty-Three

A scream caught in my throat as I watched Craig hit the floor. For a second, it was as if time stopped. In one breath, he slowly glided through the air and collided with the floor. No thoughts processed through my mind, only a thick haze quickly clouding my mind. It felt as though I were watching a movie, and now the twist ending was unraveling right before my eyes.

And then, like floodgates breaking loose, time restarted.

I started toward Craig, falling to my knees beside him. Once I was close, I noticed his body vibrating, and that's when it registered; he was having a seizure. Grabbing onto his side, I flipped him over and held his head in my lap. His eyes were slightly open and turning to whites as his lips slightly parted, revealing clenched teeth.

Just as I was about to call out for Darlene, I saw Abbey standing in the entrance to the kitchen. Her hand was in front of her mouth, covering up laughter. It was so bizarre, I nearly lost my train of thought.

Nearly.

"Darlene!" I screamed at the top of my lungs. "Darlene, I need help!"

I looked back down to Craig, and he was still shaking. I was no expert on seizures, but I didn't think he should still be having them. Something was wrong, horribly wrong.

"Lease?" I heard Darlene say behind me. "Oh my God."

She rushed next to me, taking Craig from me. I backed up quickly, making sure I was out of Darlene's way.

"How long has he been like this?" She asked, her voice sharp.

"I-I don't know," I stuttered, watching as Darlene tried to check his air waves. There was now a blue film coming from his mouth, which served to make me even more worried. "About thirty seconds if I had to guess."

She didn't reply. Instead, she checked her watch and then turned him onto his left side. Suddenly, with two violent jerks, he sputtered out a liquid that caught the side of my cheek. I rose my hand to my cheek, brushing a finger to the liquid that resided on it and then examined it.

Blood.

"Darlene," I warned, my fingers shaking as I looked at them in front of me.

"I know," she said shortly, holding him on his side as he jerked more and blood drooled from his lips. "Wet cloth. Now."

I scrambled to my feet, stumbling back as I stood up. Before I could fall, I caught myself on the counter and walked over to the sink and grabbed a cloth. I wrapped my fingers around the handle and pulled, causing cold water to be released like a waterfall from the faucet. At first contact, I recoiled from the piercing ice water, but then I adapted. Once it was completely damp, I ran back over to Darlene.

Craig had stopped convulsing so violently, but he was still lightly shaking.

"Is he going-?"

"Not now," Darlene snapped, keeping her focus on Craig. "We just have to wait for it to pass."

I closed my eyes, clenching my fists and trying to calm myself. This couldn't be happening. Not even a day did I get him back and I was already losing him all over again, except this time, it actually was my fault.

A noise caught my attention over Craig's grunts. Abbey was standing in the same spot, except this time, she was doubled over laughing her ass off. Without a second thought, I stormed over to her. She saw me coming and went around the corner and into the cafeteria. I caught up to her easily, grabbing her by the scruff of her shirt and pushing her up against the wall.

"What in the hell is so goddamned funny?" I asked, practically shouting in her face. She just looked at me with wide eyes and a sickly sweet smile. I slammed her up against it again, trying to get a response from her. "Tell me!"