Chapter 57

The next day Mafu woke up, Soraru was gone. The only thing that held any semblance that he had been around was the dress shirt he wore yesterday, draped over the back of a chair, and a Polaroid photo of Mafu sleeping placed on the table. Other than that, everything of his had been cleared out- his clothes, his accessories, his personal belongings, even his bathroom things.

         Mafu's eyes widened, and he pushed himself upwards. The pain in his hips spoke volumes about what they did yesterday, but he wasn't really sure what happened anymore. With a small grunt he made his way into the bathroom, where everywhere is clean, devoid of any items but the ones Soraru had bought for Mafu when it seemed like he couldn't go home, all arranged in its original place. He washed up, all along with a sinking feeling in his gut  and quickly got out to the kitchen.

        He had been expecting Soraru in the kitchen, like how he usually is when he is up early, cooking breakfast for the both of them- usually pancakes- but was greeted by an empty space. His heart hurts. Mafu felt confused, out of place, until he sees a letter placed delicately on the coffee table, the handwriting on the paper belonging to the man he had been searching for. Mafu quickly rushed to the table, picking the letter up and tearing through the seal.

         "what the fuck?" Mafu muttered, feeling his eyes well up with tears the longer he reads. He closed the letter before he could reach the end, and felt something heavy in the envelope. He flipped it over, and a key dropped onto the palm of his hand. Unable to stop his tears, Mafu sank to the ground, letter left on the floor and clutching the key to his chest, sobbing.

Dear Mafu,
       to my angel, my star, my one and only. when you find this letter, I'll probably be gone. you will probably find my things missing from places in the house, and i want you to know that it's okay. I'm not in danger, I'm just gone. and I want you to know that I'm sorry. so sorry that i have to leave you. i loved you, my sunshine, and I want you to know that even if I'm not with you, I'm still very much in love with you.
I want you to take this apartment. Your home are surrounded with people I don't feel that you're safe around, and since I'm leaving anyway, take this. The key is in the envelope, and don't even think about rejecting this offer. Take this, for me to show you my love.
Please, just move on. I'm not someone worthy of your love. All I want for you is to be happy. Remember me not as this person now, but remember me as the man you loved. Until we meet again. Remember to invite me to your wedding if you had one? You know who to contact.
Love, Soraru.

"how do I be happy now, that you're gone?"