10

"You think I'm that bad?" Justin asked as we stood in front of Ms. Brun class waiting for the bell to ring so she can let us in. 

"I know you are that bad," I answered his question. "Justin, there are literally hundreds of girls here, why don't you go bother one of them? I'm sure they would love to have a cute face like you as their boyfriend," I said. At this point, I did not know if I would just playing hard to get or if I just did not want to go out with him. 

He did put up a good fight, he enjoyed this, he considered it a game. I was a trophy needed to be won and he would not stop until he had me. "Ah," he said excitedly, "you think I'm cute," he said proudly. 

"That's not necessarily a good thing," I said, "the first thing someone says about you shouldn't be that you are cute," I said. 

"But even you can admit that I am cute," he told me. "There are many things to like about me besides my physical appearance," he said. I turned and looked at him raising my eyebrow so he could inform me of what there was to like about him. "I am down to earth, I am intelligent, I care about others, and I am humble."

"People who are humble never describe themselves as humble," I said honestly, but he was right nonetheless, these were great qualities for someone to like about him.  As if coming to my rescue, the bell rung. I let out a deep breath of relief, I was getting tired of talking to his egotistical self. 

"Good morning children," Ms. Brun said as she opened the door for us to come in. Us and a few students who were also waiting came in taking our seats respectively. I took the things I needed and did the warm-up she had up on the board. I felt proud when I actually knew how to do the problem, CJ had gone over it with me during our study sessions. The late bell rang and she closed the door, "we will be starting chapter three today," she said. 

"I think it's an easy enough chapter, should take us maybe three days," she said estimating. 

"You always think they're easy!" Justin yelled out. Everyone nodded their hands agreeing with his statement. 

"You seem to know me so well," she snapped back at the young boy. "Since you know me so well, why don't you do this problem," she said pointing to the warm-up on the board. Justin groaned but got up regardless. He took a marker and started working on the problem. 

"All done," Justin said putting the marker down, "is it incorrect?" He asked, Ms. Brun, looked at the board and shrugged her shoulders rolling her eyes at him. She came close to her and smiled, "come on Ms. Brun," Justin said, "I'm one of your best, just admit it," he added. She huffed and ignored him, he approached her and whispered something in her ear. Ohs could be heard from the students watching the drama unfold. Ms. Brun turned around and looked at him pointing to his desk. 

He walked to his desk lazily and took a seat, "thank you, Justin, for the show, you make me want to wake up every day to teach," she said sarcastically. I turned and looked at the empty seat next to me, CJ was not here; it was not like it was a surprise, he did show up to her class late almost all the time. I questioned how he was still passing her class. 

Just then the door opened and in he walked. He was dressed, as usual, blue jeans and a black hoodie. Something was different though, he did not have his glasses on. His hands were inside his hoodie pockets as he entered, the whole class turned and looked at him. "Glad you could join us, CJ," Ms. Brun said. She then looked at him and called him over. He had his back to the class, they talked for a long time. 

I could only see Ms. Brun's face and the conversation seemed serious. She stopped talking for a while and she had worry written all over her face. She then cross her hands over her chest, she sighed and pointed to his seat. He turned around and came taking a seat. That's when I noticed his face, not only did he not have his glasses, but his face was bruised. Did he get in a fight or something?

"Hey, what happened to your face?" I asked him.  He turned and took out his book ignoring my question. I took his hoodie down to see the whole damage, "did you get into a fight or something?" I asked. He again didn't answer.

I touched his arm, but he pulled away. "Leave me the fuck alone," he finally said. He was angry, I wished I knew what was wrong. He did not seem like the violent type to be getting into fights. 

"Let's begin," Ms. Brun said. She turned off one of the lights and turned on the PowerPoint so we can take our notes. She paused on one of the slides, everyone started to write down what was on the board. I looked over at CJ, he was not writing anything. 

"You can't see?" I asked him, I probably should leave him alone since he told me to. I questioned why I still tried to talk to him when he was nothing, but rude to me. He shook his head no, I slid him my paper.

"Thank you," he said lowly, I nodded my head and let him copy my paper.

'''''

The bell rung, the students started putting their stuff away rushing out the door. "Please review and finish the rest for homework!" Ms. Brun yelled. Everyone ignored her and rushed out, I got up from my seat and put my stuff away. 

CJ was still here also, "do you box?" I asked him. He looked up at me and shook his head no. "Then what happened to your face?" I asked him again. 

"That's my personal business," he answered. He pushed his book into his bag, "I'll see you tomorrow, Ms. Brun," he said leaving the room. I stand there dumbfounded. 

"Bianca," Ms. Brun called before I had a chance to leave the room. "Aren't you and CJ neighbors?" She asked me. I nodded my head, "you know his mother?" She questioned. I nodded my head again, "CJ does not like talking about it, but his mother is schizophrenic," she said. I gasped, the one time I met her, she seemed fine. "When she does not take her meds, she um..." she paused, "well you saw him," she said. "Anyways go to class before you're late."