Chapter 2

He was here. Five years ago, was the last time I saw him and now he was here, and I was holding onto him like my life depended on him. Realizing the fact, I pushed myself away as if I got electrocuted, his grey eyes bored into my hazel ones.I felt goosebumps all over, it felt like the temperature in the room dropped to a hundred degrees. Our staring contest was broken down when Zoha rushed to me asking if I was okay. Swallowing the lump in my throat, I met her soft blue eyes and nodded, not able to utter out anything. Physically, I was okay. Emotionally, I did not know anymore.

A knock at the door diverted our attention, Laiba baji came in.

"Aleyha, larkey waley are here. Bring her downstairs after some time," she said and all I could do was nod my head, my voice stuck in my throat.

"And Wali, you come downstairs with me," she said, looking at him.

"Bhai, can you pick my bangles from there," Zoha called Wali, pointing at the top of the cupboard. Nodding, he did as he was told. Handing the bangles to Zoha, he left not even sparing a glance at me. Not able to control my emotions anymore, I broke down. I felt all energy draining away from my body. My legs no longer able to support my weakened-self gave up as I fell to the ground; hugging my knees to my chest. Zoha quickly sat in front of me and embraced my crouched-self. After my friends, she was the only one who knew everything.

"Why, Zoha! Why is he here now? Why did he come back? He should have got settled in America. Five years! It has been five years Zoha since I have last seen him. Not once did he contacted me, and now suddenly he is here," I sobbed, my tears streaming done my face all along my neck.
"What will I do now, Zoha? What will I do now?"

Breaking the hug, I looked into her eyes, pleading her to answer me, to rid away all these emotions I was having.

"Aleyha. Come, sit," she whispered, wiping away my tears.

"Aleyha, you knew he would never have missed my wedding. I knew he was coming and I know somewhere your brain must have expected it too but your heart resisted the thought. Aleyha, I know you are strong. I know you can handle this..."

I shook my head frantically, hugging myself. No, I cannot handle it- its not the same anymore.

"No, Al, dont be like this. You have been handling this from five years. You told me you have moved on, and that you will not waste any more time pinning on my brother. Aleyha, you have to put the past behind and look forward, you have to be brave and face him. You cannot avoid him forever, he is your cousin after all. Just be yourself. Give it sometime Al and everything will be fine. I promise," she cupped my face, looking into my eyes.

"Do you think I can do this Zoha?" I whispered with trembling lips, unsure of myself.

"Yes, I know you can face this. I completely trust you. Show him your new self. Show him you are better off without him," she said, tucking a lock of hair behind my ear.
Nodding to myself, I absorbed in her words. Realising that she was right. I cannot get weak at the moment. I cannot show him that how much affect he has on me, still!

"Yes! You are right!" I looked at her and stood up.

"I'll show him my new self. I'll show him I am not the same person and I don't care. I'll show him, I have moved on. Yes, I have moved on. He doesn't matter to me anymore. I am strong and I'll show him that!" I stated furiously, bobbing my head up and down.

"Thats like my girl. Now come on clean your face, touch up your makeup and give me that beautiful smile of yours," Zoha said, standing up. I took a deep breath. Giving her my megawatt smile, I straightened my clothes. We both gave our makeups a final touch up. We were almost done when all my cousins came in announcing that Laiba baji has told them to bring the bride. Putting her ghonghat (veil), we took her outside the room and called the boys. The boys came holding up the phoolon ki chaddar at top of our heads, it's the way we bring the mayun bride to the stage. Six of my boy cousins, at every corner, were holding the chaddar. Zaroon and her brother from the front and all the others from the back. Me, Pareeshay, and Soha were standing at one side of the bride and Kiran aapi, Laiba baji, and Manahil at the other side of the bride.

Walking forward while the movie maker made our movie, we took the bride towards the stage. We settled Zoha at the centre of the jhoola at the stage. Mumani jan who was standing at the bottom of the stage told us to have a group photo. I was about to sit beside Zoha that Wali too moved forward to sit beside her. I felt his gaze on me as if judging my next move, ignoring his gaze I called out for Laiba baji asking her if it was okay that all the girls could stand at the back and let the boys sit in the front with Zoha. She nodded. Averting my gaze, I moved to the back and we had our group photo.

After this, it was time for rasam. All the elders did the rasam, praising the bride and giving her a lot of duas. It was almost twelve o clock when the groom's family left. We all cleaned up the house and the boys looked after the workers outside, who were removing the tent.

We all cousins had already decided to stay at nanna's house for the wedding so we came prepared and had brought all our things with us, only the ones we will be needing throughout the wedding.

It actually was my nanna's house where all of my mamus also live. Both of my khalas were married living with their in-laws happily, Alhamdulillah. Laiba baji and Kiran aapi were my eldest Mehrun khala's daughters and she had two other sons-Ahsan and Hasan bhai. My mother was the second eldest who only had me, and Soha and Manahil were my Hina khala's daughter.

Wali and Zoha were my Abdul Rehman mamu jan's children. Pareeshay and Zaroon were my second, Hammad mamu's children. And Haider bhai and Ali were my third, Mustafa mamu's sons. My friends were always awed that how big family I have and how we all live just like real siblings. I am not at all ashamed of how many we are and I love all of them to the moon and back.

We all were in Zoha's room currently, gossiping about the whole event when mumani jan came in the room telling us to go to sleep, reminding us that we all have to wake up early as the girls she called for putting us mehndi would be here early cause the mehndi function is at night. Agreeing with her, we all decided to call it a night. Handing, Awn, aapi's five-year-old son to her, I stood up. Laiba baji told us that she and Kiran aapi with their children will be sleeping in the next room. I decided to sleep with Zoha. Manahil, Soha and Pareeshay retired to the other bigger room next to Zoha's.
______________________________
So guys, how are you all?
The hero is finally here. Did you like his entry (wink)?
Do tell me what do you guys think? I would love to hear your suggestions and opinions.
Have a good read!
And do vote!
Allah hafiz for now.