7. Butterfly

Syrena

"Here's your lunch bag - you left it in the cabin."

"Check the lost-and-found if you can't find your bug spray."

"Tomorrow we'll be at the pond, so make sure you have a bathing suit."

Sigh...

After the last child had their things together and had reluctantly left with their parents, I pulled out my phone and checked to see if Dakan had replied to my text yet.

Nope, nothing. He must be busy at the shop.

Kan got a summer job at a mechanic shop, learning how to fix stuff and eventually doing some jobs on his own. Mainly technological problems, I guess, from what he's told me about it. 

I've been working at a summer camp as an assistant counselor for the last few weeks, with a different camp group each week, and next week is my last week. It's actually a lot of fun, and so far the kids have been great - except for a few. One thought it was okay to scream really loudly at random times, and another thought she could swim in the deepest part of the pool without a swimming test, so I had to jump in and save her.

Just as I got in the car, my phone buzzed with a text from Kan.

~

K: Hey, Sy :) what's up? I just saw your last text

S: nothing much, just sent the last kid home and now i'm heading that way too.

S: you wanna come over when you're done working?

K: sure, we can go flying if you want. 

K: i found a good spot the other day.

S: sounds good to me =)

S: see you in a bit

K: cya Sy

~

When I got home around 4:30, Kan's car was already parked in our driveway.

He must be inside.

The minute I stepped through the door, the smell of cinnamon hit my nose, making my stomach grumble.

"Menara! I'm home! Are you baking something?"

"Yep, I just made a dozen cinnamon rolls and there's more in the oven," she calls back from the kitchen, "but if you want one, you better hurry, 'cause Dakan is going to eat them all at this rate," she said in an amused tone.

I hurried to the kitchen, dropping my backpack and water bottle near the door. When I got there, I caught Kan with cinnamon all over his face and half a bun in his mouth. He looked at me like a little kid caught stealing candy, and I doubled over with laughter.

After eyeing me as if I might try to steal his remaining half, then realizing what he looked like, he swallowed his mouthful and joined in my amusement at his expense.

After my giggles subsided enough, I grabbed a bun and took a huge bite.

"These are really good! Thanks, Menara."

Kan chimed in, thanking her as well - and then grabbed another bun and dashed out of the kitchen. I followed him outside, where he was standing by his car, finishing the cinnamon roll. 

Curious, I asked, "So, did you want to go flying yet tonight? Where's this place you found?"

He grinned, "It's a secret, but I know you'll love it. Hop in - I'll drive."