It's your Birthday - Rocket X Reader

On Knowhere, the guardians needed to make a pit stop for fuel and some basic supplies. You were on the Milano with Drax, Groot, and Mantis keeping an eye on things while the others were out. Groot grew a couple of inches over the last few months but he was still small enough to sit on your shoulder. Meanwhile, Peter, Rocket, and Gamora were out in the marketplace taking care of a few errands for the Milano and for your upcoming birthday.

"This is what happens when you wait till the last minute," Gamora chided.

"I know, I know," Peter sighed. "But I wasn't sure what to get her."

"And that's why we're here." She looked over to Rocket, "What about you? What's your excuse?"

"I was...busy," Rocket replied, Gamora exhaled.

Your birthday was tomorrow and everyone had a gift for you, except for Peter and Rocket. Peter waited until the very last minute while Rocket was having a hard time deciding what to get you. Gamora came along to help them out and keep an eye on them. So far, the two guardians weren't having much luck.

"So Pete what are you goin' to get?" Rocket asked.

Peter shrugged, "I don't know but I'll have it figured out before the day is out. What about you?"

"Eh I'll know it when I see it," Rocket replied.

"Let's just get it taken care of ok guys?" Gamora said.

"Ok, ok, I'm goin' to look at the bazaars over there," Rocket said before he started walking.

"Alright, we'll see you later," Peter said as he and Gamora went to check out some of the stores in the other direction.

"Try not to steal any anything this time!" Gamora called out.

"Yeah, yeah," Rocket brushed off.

Rocket walked by some of the booths in hopes of finding something you might like. Shopping for himself was easy, shopping for someone else was hard even when you really like them. Rocket's had a thing for you for a while now but what he didn't know is that you've had a crush on him too. When he passed by a display of handmade jewelry, he stopped and decided to take a closer look. There were a variety of earrings, necklaces, bracelets, and rings neatly displayed across the table. He scanned the table for a moment until something caught his eye.

'That'll do,' Rocket thought to himself.

The next day, you slowly got out of bed, got dressed, got out of your room, and waited in the usual line for the bathroom. You stood behind Peter who was standing by the door waiting for his turn.

"Morning Peter," you said.

He turned his head to you, "Morning birthday girl, you looking forward to celebrating?"

You smiled, "Sure am."

"Back when I was with the Ravagers our idea of celebrating was go out, steal some stuff, and get drunk."

"Kind of like what we do except for the stealing bit."

"Well most of the time."

You paused for a few seconds, "So, how long have you been waiting?"

"Long enough."

"Who's in there by the way?"

"Rocket." He impatiently sighed and gritted his teeth, "He's been in there for over twenty minutes."

Within that moment, Peter couldn't wait any longer so he knocked a couple on the door of times, "Rocket hurry up in there!"

"Alright already!" Rocket shouted. "Sheesh."

The door opened a few seconds later, Rocket stepped out and Peter made his was in with the door closing behind him.

"Morning Rocket," you greeted before Rocket could walk off.

He stopped himself and looked up at you, "Oh morning ______."

"So, how are you?"

"Alright I guess, and Happy Birthday."

"Thank you."

"Rocket have you seen my brush?" Peter asked from behind the door.

"How the hell should I know?" Rocket replied.

"Because you were the last one in here."

"That still don't mean I know where it is."

While Rocket and Peter were exchanging words, you glanced over at Rocket, you noticed his fur looked more soft and smooth instead of scruffy like it usually was. Which was unusual since Rocket rarely groomed himself. You've always liked Rocket ever since you've met him on Xandar along with the other members of the guardians. You thought he was funny, cool, and you really liked spending time with him whenever you had a moment.

Rocket turned his attention away from the door to you and noticed you were staring, "What?"

You snapped out of your daze and blushed for a second, "Nothing."

"Well," Rocket shrugged, "I need to check in on Groot I'll see ya in a bit."

"Ok see ya," you replied before he went to look for Groot.

Moments later, Peter called out from the bathroom, "Rocket did you use my brush?!"

"Pete he just left," you said.

Sometime later, the ship was temporarily put on autopilot so everyone could gather around to have breakfast. Peter's music played in the background as he made a large helping of pancakes for your birthday, which were surprisingly good considering he rarely cooked for himself or anyone else. He even made some smaller pancakes for Groot to enjoy. Gamora and Mantis cleared the table of glasses, food wrappers, and tools before setting it up for breakfast. The guardians took a seat around the table got themselves a few of Peter's pancakes. Drax helped himself to a large stack and covered it from top to bottom with sticky syrup. Some of it seeped off his plate and onto the table.

"Dude you're getting it all over the table," Peter said sounding a bit peeved.

"Oh my bad," Drax set down the bottle which was now half empty. He turned to you and gave you a pat on the shoulder, "So how do you want to celebrate the day you came into this world by pushing your way out of your mother's-"

"Please don't finish that sentence," Peter quickly interrupted while you flustered slightly.

"I'm gonna pretend I didn't hear that," Rocket said and continued to eat his breakfast.

"What? Hovat and I would tell Kamaria the story of her birth on every single one of her birthdays." Drax let out a sigh, "It was the happiest day of my life."

"Aww that's sweet," you said then added gently, "But I'm pretty sure we know how it works."

Groot was a bit confused by the conversation, "I am Groot?"

"Don't worry about it," Gamora whispered to him.

"Anyway moving on, ______ have any idea of where you want go out for dinner?" Peter asked.

You paused from eating your food, "Well, remember that one restaurant we went to a few months ago?"

"You mean the one with the pub?" Rocket asked.

"Yeah," you replied.

Rocket nodded, "Nice."

"That place has some really good food," Drax added.

"I'll put in the coordinates and we'll be on our way later," Gamora said before started to eat her food.

Later that evening, you all made your way to the restaurant, went inside, and sat at a big booth they had in the corner. You sat in the middle, Rocket sat next to you while Groot sat on the edge of the table. The pub over in the next part of the restaurant but you figured you could go over there a bit later. You all got some drinks started, some of them were from the bar while the rest were nonalcoholic, and then ordered your food. At some point, Groot slipped away to try and eat whatever he found something on the floor for a moment but Rocket caught him before he could wander off any further. About five minutes later, the waitress came over with the appetizer was served on a large plate. Everyone took out a few pieces while Groot was nibbling away on one until it was all gone and waited for your meals to be brought out. Eventually, the waitress arrived with the main course served on a large tray and set the plates down one by one and then you all began to eat. Rocket picked up his plate and started to dig in sending some of his food on the table. Some of you just ignored it while some of the others showed a bit of disgust at the raccoons table manners.

"Seriously Rocket?" Peter groaned.

"C'mon guys we're here to enjoy ourselves," you said.

"Yeah Pete," Rocket wiped his mouth with his hand. "Don't be a killjoy."

"Puppy is so cute," Mantis smiled.

You agreed with Mantis but you weren't going to mention it out loud especially when Rocket was there. He ignored Mantis's comment and continued eating his meal until it was gone. Peter talked to Gamora while Drax continued to enjoy his meal and Mantis looked after Groot. A few minutes later after you finished your food, you felt Rocket nudge your side.

"Hey ______, do you wanna head for the pub now?"

"Yeah," you replied.

"Make sure she doesn't get drunk before we leave," Peter said.

"Pete, I can handle a couple of drinks ok?" You replied as you went with Rocket.

You and Rocket got yourselves out of the booth and headed straight for the pub while the others remained at the booth. You two took a seat at the barstool side by side and ordered a couple of rounds. For the most part, both of you just talked and drank. You weren't going to drink much just a couple of your favorite drinks to celebrate. Later, Gamora came over to retrieve you two while Peter headed for the front to pay the check so the group could return to the Milano.

Afterwards, you all returned to the ship and everyone started to set up their presents for you on the table. You took a seat at the table while the others went to bring out their gifts. Groot got on top of the table with a bouquet of small while flowers in his hand.

"Aww thank you Groot," you said as you took the flowers from his little hand.

"I am Groot," Groot smiled.

"Groot says he was practicing growing flowers lately and he wanted to make some for you," Rocket translated.

"That's so sweet. Thanks again Groot you did a good job."

"I am Groot," he blushed.

You made sure to get a small glass of water to put the flowers in before you moved onto the next present. The next one was from Drax, he handed you this long staff-like present wrapped in cloth. You unfolded the cloth to reveal a medium sized axe with a metal handle, it wasn't too heavy but you could carry it around if you needed to. At first there was no blade then you saw a small button and pushed it. A burst of blue energy came on one the side forming the blade.

"This is so cool," you said as you examined your new weapon.

"Why an axe?" Peter asked.

"It was traditional to give a new weapon to a family member," Drax replied.

"Thanks Drax," you said bashfully.

You got a warm feeling for a moment when Drax referred to you as family. You turned the axe off and set it down on the table. Mantis gave you a small box, inside it was a medium sized hairclip with swirl patterns and decorated with small gems. She thought it looked pretty and thought you would like it. Gamora handed you a small bag, you opened it and saw a new pair of fingerless gloves. Your old ones were getting worn out and it was about time for you to get a new pair. Peter gave you a package wrapped in dark blue paper. You removed the wrapping and inside was a black medium sized knapsack.

"Seriously Quill?" Rocket rolled his eyes, "You gave her a purse, how original."

Peter furrowed his eyebrow, "First off it's a knapsack and second, it's the thought that counts."

You agreed, "Yeah I mean, the strap broke on my old one."

"See."

"Big deal, anybody can give a girl a new bag."

"Oh yeah, where's your gift?"

"I'll be right back," Rocket replied as he got up from his chair and left.

After about a minute, Rocket came back with both hands behind his back. He brought both hands out front revealing a metal link bracelet. It had nine small roundish glass spheres with a mix of blue, green, and purple swirls looking like a small galaxy was placed into each one. You moved it around in your hand and watched as the light reflected off the colors making it sparkle.

"Rocket, it's beautiful," you gasped.

His ears perked up, "You like it?"

"I love it."

"Oh before anyone asks; Yes, I actually paid for it. Shocking I know."

Peter blinked, "Yeah."

"Ok I did manage to haggle the price a bit."

Mantis leaned over to take a closer look at your present, "Wow it's so pretty."

"I'll admit, it does look nice," Gamora commented.

Drax looked over and nodded, "It does."

Rocket took this moment to give Peter a 'my gift is better than yours' look but Peter just ignored him.

"So, you about ready for cake?" Gamora asked you.

"Yeah," you quickly replied.

"I am Groot!"

Gamora went to the fridge where the cake was stored and brought it to the table. You and Peter picked it up the other day from a bakery on Xandar Rhomann Dey had recommended. It had (favorite color) frosting with a wavy border around the edge and the words 'Happy Birthday _______' written on top. You thought about getting a chocolate cake but you wanted a cake everyone can enjoy. Plus, you learned that raccoons couldn't eat chocolate since it was poisonous to them. Before you could cut into the cake, Groot jumped up onto the table and buried his face into the cake.

"Aww Groot," everyone sighed.

Groot looked up with frosting all over his face, "I am Groot."

You couldn't bring yourself to be upset with Groot, he just got excited and couldn't help himself.

"Well there goes the cake," Peter shrugged.

"Not all of it exactly," Rocket said as he inspected the cake.

"Groot you ruined the cake," Drax said as he stared down at him.

Groot retaliated by throwing a bit of frosting at his face while you and Mantis held back a laugh. Rocket picked up Groot and took him to the bathroom to get him cleaned up. You cut out a slice around where Groot jumped on it, set them on a small plate, and Gamora passed them out. Even though Groot slightly damaged the cake but at least it was still edible. Rocket came back with Groot all cleaned up and you gave them a slice of their own while you sat down to enjoy yours. Of course, Groot got the piece he buried his face in earlier.

"Are birthdays usually like this?" Mantis asked you.

"Not really but this does make it more fun," you replied before taking another bite of cake.

After the celebration, the guardians were getting ready to get some sleep while it was Gamora's turn to keep watch. You were one of the last to turn in for the night, before you could get into your room Rocket stopped you.
"Hey."

You turned around, "Hey Rocket."

He paused for a moment, "There's something I've been wanting to ask you for a while."

"Yeah?"

"Do you... maybe wanna go out with me sometime?"

"Sure, and one more thing."

"Hmm?"

You got down to his level and planted a kiss on his cheek. Rocket was surprised by this but also thankful that his fur hid the fact he was blushing.

You pulled away still face to face with him, "Thanks again, for the gift."

"N-no problem, I'm glad you liked it."

You gave him a smile, "Good night."

"Night."

You entered your room with the door closing behind you and sat down on your bed. You took a moment to look over the wonderful presents you received from your friends. The flowers Groot gave you sat on a shelf in a small vase next to your new hairclip, the axe stood in a corner, the gloves were stored in your new knapsack, and the bracelet was still around your wrist. As you lied down you spent some good quality time with your friends, went out to dinner, and received some cool gifts. However, best part of your birthday was your crush asking you out on a date.