How We Met - Rocket X Reader

It was a quiet evening in the Quadrant, everyone sat around the table having a few drinks and having one random conversation after another. Kraglin was going to stay up and keep an eye on the ship while everyone got some rest. Peter and Gamora were busy talking while Drax poured himself another drink. Mantis wasn't much of a drinker but it might take her a while for her to get used to the taste of alcohol but she does enjoy everyone's company. You were sitting next to your boyfriend Rocket then you two noticed Groot was starting to yawn, Rocket carefully picked him up. got out of his seat, and took him to their room. Since Groot was still little and wasn't quite ready for his own room yet he was going to share a room with Rocket for a while. You and Rocket have known each other for a few years and later got together sometime after the war on Xandar. Eventually Rocket came back and resumed his seat next to you.

"So, did Groot go to sleep?" You asked.

"Yeah, well he didn't want to admit he was tired but he fell asleep within minutes," Rocket replied before he helped himself to another drink.

"Hey ______, can I ask you something?" Peter asked.

"Sure," you replied.

"I was wondering, how did you meet Rocket and Groot?"

You paused for a moment, "I thought I told you about that."

Peter shrugged a little, "Yeah but all you told us was you guys ended up in the same prison together or something."

"That was the short version, the rest is kind of a long story," you said.

"Very long," Rocket mumbled.

"I'd like to hear the story," Mantis said with a smile.

Drax nodded, "So would I."

"Are you sure?" You asked Drax and Mantis. "It could take a while to tell it."

"Well, it's still early and I think we have enough time to hear it," Gamora said.

You leaned back in your chair, "Ok let's see, it was about 3 years ago."

"Close enough," Rocket commented.

"Well, I used to do some mercenary work and some stealing to get by but then one night..."

It was the middle of the night as you quietly crept around the warehouse. You've heard that a shipment of batteries arrived earlier today and selling a few of them off would financially secure you for a while. You saw the night guard for a moment and waited for him to leave before you made your move. As soon as the coast was clear before you went for the door which had a small keypad pad above the doorknob. You took out your time scanner to playback earlier in the evening and saw a guard punch the numbers in which you memorized. About a moment later you put in the code, unlocked the door, and went inside closing the door behind you. It was dark except for the emergency lights in the corners. You weren't going to grab much, just what could carry and get out without getting caught. It was like an adrenaline rush each time you were pulling a job like this. Suddenly, a soft clicking noise caught your attention, you paused for a minute and waited for the sound. After about a minute or two of silence you assumed it was an orloni that snuck in earlier and continued with your task. A while later you found what you were looking for and went over to get it. A medium sized dark gray carrying case mostly used for holding a small shipment of batteries sat out in the open on top of a large crate. The moment you grasped the side handle, you froze as you saw a small furry hand grab the case at the same time you did. Your eyes shifted from the case to what looked like a raccoon on an orange jumpsuit with a quad blaster strapped on his back.

"What do you think you're doing?" You asked with a raised brow.

"I could ask you the same thing," he bluntly replied.

"Look I was here first so therefore it's mine."

"Listen lady I called dibs on it way before you did."

You rolled your eyes, "Oh please I was here way before you."

He pulled out his weapon with his free hand and aimed it toward your face, "How about I blow your head off and then we'll see who gets to walk away with it?"

Suddenly, red flashing lights went off along with the alarm sounding off made you two freeze right where you were. While he was distracted you yanked the case from his grasp and took off running for the nearest exit.

"Groot stop her!" He yelled before he gave chase.

You looked just in time to see a giant tree creature step out from behind a bunch of crates. When he tried to grab you, you quickly dodged him by making a sharp turn and continued running.

"Great going Groot, she's getting away with our stuff," he growled stopping briefly next to him.

"I am Groot," Groot apologized.

"Do something!" He shouted then took off running after you.

You weaved around the large boxes in hopes of losing them and make it to the exit. As soon as you were out the door when you felt something wrap around your ankle causing you to trip. The impact of hitting the ground stunned you for a few seconds but before you could get back up, the raccoon jumped on your back and tried to reach for the case but you weren't got to let him take it.