04: Operation

◆Laure's POV◆

When I was just a kid, my parents died during a monster's invasion of our village.

With my parents gone, I became a homeless kid waiting to die. I thought my situation couldn't get much worse until I was kidnapped by slave dealers.

I lost hope to live, but that's when Lord Revarge saved me.

From then on, he took me in and trained me to become the retainer of the Tenth Young Master, Lexus Revarge. Young Master has unique features that are inherited from both of his parents, especially the Lord. Being the youngest son of a high noble family, he is deeply doted on by his father which his siblings are jealous of leading to their frequent fights.

I watched my young master grow up as a handsome and capable young man. He is both skilled in literature and swordsmanship, however, he lacks talent in magic which further affects his relationship with most of his family.

When he turned 15, his magical attributes were measured, and the results were all five on every single element, lower than those of the commoners. Except for the Lord, this disappointed everyone in the house. The ongoing prejudice from his birth mother and siblings, on the other hand, is simply too much for the young master to bear, even with the Lord's assistance in counseling and safeguarding him. This resulted in him slowly isolating himself from the crowd.

And when the young master turned 18 years old. He completely distanced himself from everyone.

He became so aloof and cold that no one would dare talk to him apart from his father who from time to time would check on his well-being; and his mother and siblings that would embarrass him, ridiculing his incompetency.

Although the young master is deeply underestimated by others, he still lives his life as it is. Doing his duty as the tenth young master of the house.

However, last week, something happened that never once occurred to us.

The young master did not return after heading out on a mission. The Lord was so furious that he argued with the mistress to the point of slapping her which had taken us all in surprise.

After that, he commanded me and Kira to find any traces of the young master while at the same time erasing any rumors of his disappearance to avoid any possible feud that could happen on the young master's turf.

In this case, we ran into two possibilities of the young master's disappearance; either because of the way he was treated inside the house that he became tired of it or that he got into trouble somewhere that made him unable to return in due time. We also thought that it might have something to do with his mission, but it was only a recon C-class mission in the outskirts of Revarge's Territory which is a place under the protection of the empire, it was very unlikely to get in trouble so we ruled out that possibility.

The young master is strong even though he is unable to use magic so the Lord concluded that it was because of how he was treated like an outsider by his birth mother and biological siblings.

'As the retainer of the young master, I wasn't able to fulfill my duty. So this time, with the Lord's order, I am determined to find him no matter what.'

We searched for the young master for three days straight but we absolutely couldn't find any traces of him. It is as if someone deliberately erased them.

This made us think that he might have really encountered trouble and not just been running away from home.

Either way, we continued to search for him.

A week passed and we still had no clues of his whereabouts, not until we stumbled upon someone whom he claimed to be that he is an information broker.

He is a shady character, but we are too desperate. To what we've agreed to, we gave him the exact amount of money he demanded, and in return, he told us where the young master is.