01: The Mission

■■■

《Change of POV》

"I gave her all of your remaining lifespan and erased all of their memories about you. And now, after all these past few days of preparation for your mission, you're ready for the basics of that world at the very least. Once you succeed, we won't have anything to do with each other, fair enough?" Deloure said while floating in thin air.

He is a death god with the appearance of a chibi-looking boy wearing a black coat, but despite what he looks like, he is a man in his late twenties and a vicious being without mercy. His appearance is nothing but an illusion.

"You did exactly what I wanted and the precious life of my sister is back to what it used to be. So I'm satisfied with this outcome." I answered back at him while still looking at the scene unfolding in front of us. They're now a happy family without me.

What happened that day was dreadfully graphic. My body was in an unbearably excruciating pain but what was most painful was my sister's condition hanging at death's door upon arriving at the hospital.

■Flashback■

In that nick of time, between life and death. I somehow heard my sister.

I heard her cursing at the delinquents but her voice was hoarse and she was coughing every second she would speak a word, as if her vocal chords were damaged.

Of a sudden, something pulled me out, or more like my soul got pulled out from my body, and found myself standing right in front of her.

Her condition is way worse than mine compared to when she found me. Despite her body's condition, she's still trying to crawl and fight. Blood was dripping on her face, her neck was stabbed by a pen and her nails were pulled out, some of her fingers were broken and her clothes were torn.

I had all these mixed emotions and it blew up. I wanted to jump at those who were laughing looking at my sister's demise but the worst part is that I couldn't do anything and it's all my fault.

"She is dying." An unfamiliar voice suddenly emerged in my head and the time stopped. As if lightning struck me, my soul got strongly pulled back into my body. But I had no time to pay attention to whatever voice I heard. All I want is to get to where my sister is fast.

While I was trying to stand using the wall as a support, I saw a man in a cape with a crow on his shoulder approaching. His footsteps were the only sound I could hear in this alleyway and for some unknown reason, every step that he takes gives me the chills as if I am being buried under the snow.

"Who, w..ho are you?" I asked stuttering while trying to get to my best posture regardless of the pain I felt.

"Do you wish to save her?" He asked in return for my question. As he began to get closer, I got to see his eyes that were glowing like a sun on its peak at noon but I could not feel any heat or warmth from him but a menacing and deathly presence. My guts are telling me that the consequences of provoking him would be worse than death itself.

His eyes although they're colorful, I can only see rage and emptiness. I know, because that's the eyes I see in the mirror.

"A contract, I fulfill your wish and you fulfill mine. You just have to choose." He said while petting the crow on his shoulder. This strange time-stopping ability or whatever you call it and this strange man's behavior. The chance to save my sister seems to be like a dream but this is a dream that I wanted to believe.

"I agree."

There's no need to think at all of whatever the contract will be as long as it will save my sister, I'm fine even if my soul will get eaten or destroyed in return. I'm desperate enough to do whatever it takes just to save her.