Chapter 26

"People don't write sonnets about being compatible, or novels about shared life goals and stimulating conversation. The great loves are the crazy ones." – Blair Waldorf, Gossip Girl.

Chapter 26

"Have you apologized to him?" Joey questioned. He was getting frustrated at his sister and best friend. He'd see them walk right past each other and not say a word to one another for two days already.

"No!" Bethany answered. "Every time I try to he finds a way to get rid of me. Or he just walks away from the conversation."

Laying on the sun-bathing chair, Joey stared at the sky. "HE'S BEING AN ASSHOLE!"

Both of the siblings glanced up at the treehouse to see if Zach heard and if he would react. He didn't. Which only made them more angry.

Moments later, Zach peeled his head out of the treehouse. "I told you I'd stay out of your red carpet." He said, directing his words towards Bethany.

"No, Zach. That is not fair. You misinterpreted that whole situation!" Bethany called.

"I don't think I did," he climbed down from the treehouse to face Bethany.

"Well you did!"

"You basically told your mother and I that we should've used the back doors of the school. I don't blame you for not wanting to ruin your reputation and all, especially at the end of your senior year; it's how most people are going to remember you for the rest of their lives. But, I did expect a little more from you." Zach shrugged. "I guess I was wrong to."

Bethany could tell that Zach was starting to believe she was like Sarah. Only cared about popularity and having the hottest guy in school beside her. She felt her eyes sting but took a deep breath and was fine. "I was trying to protect you. Not my reputation." Bethany's voice was colder than intended. But she was tired of Zach ignoring her attempts at apologies.

He stared at her, confused. Bethany took the chance to finally be able to say what she wanted to. "I know I just met you like two months ago, but I knew you wouldn't like being stared at by idiot high schoolers. Neither would you want to be asked questions about the Asylum, or your parents, or anything actually. I didn't know how you'd react if that were to happen. In my mind, the backdoors were your safety entrance. In the mornings people always hang out at the front." Joey stared from Zach to Beth and vice versa. Bethany sighed, looking away from Zach and adding, "you would've known that if you had just listened once out of the various different times I tried to talk to you."

As Bethany walked away from the boys, Joe repeated, "you're an asshole." Then he was following his little sister into the house, leaving Zach speechless.

He cursed loudly when there was no one around. Bethany was right. He did get strange looks. And a few douchebag high schoolers asked about the female docs of the Asylum. Others asked about his dead mother. It was annoying, to say the least. And obviously if he would've entered through the back doors, he wouldn't have gone though that.

The sun was beginning to set and instead of going after Bethany, who clearly needed some time alone—or at least away from Zach—he climbed back inside Treehouse Slothful.

His mind flew to Sunday night when he SOS'ed Bethany. And he recalled their kiss.

God, I'm an idiot. He thought. He should've listened to Bethany. Better yet, he should've never jumped to conclusions in the first place.

Yeah, you shouldn't have, is what Zach heard in his brain. He recognized the calling as Bethany's.

You were listening to me? Zach asked her. He knew it was weird that they could communicate even though they weren't in the same room, but he loved how that made them diverse from other coup—couples? He wasn't sure what they were yet.

I think you did that thing where you unknowingly, accidentally reach someone's brain. Bethany told him.

Zach peaked through his window to look at hers. She was sitting at the windowsill, with her legs hanging out on the outside. I'm sorry, he told her.

You were a jerk. She said, looking in his direction.

I know.

Good. That was the last thing she said before she slipped back inside her room. A soothing and peaceful sleep took over her body as she drifted into a beautiful darkness. And oddly enough, she found it welcoming: the darkness.

~

"Can you believe you graduate high school in two days?" Mr. Harlow was proud of his daughter. Compared to Joey who ended his senior year with a 2.7 GPA, Bethany was an overachiever at 3.88.

"Honestly," Beth spoke. "No. It all went by so miserably slow. Now that it's actually over, I feel like it's some sick joke because I'll have to go back to school this fall."

Her father laughed. "It's part of life, honey."

"I know, but why does a freaking piece of paper get to rank you to society?" Beth stuffed her face with spicy chicken wings. Attractive.

Her father groaned, "Michelle, tell your daughter to shut up. I'm having a great day and I don't need her to ruin it with society talk."

Bethany didn't give her mother a chance to talk. "And also, why is it okay for people to declare a body 'good enough' only if it's doll-like. NOT EVERYONE CAN LOOK LIKE BARBIE AND KEN, OKAY?!" Bethany got very worked up about society standards. Rightfully, she believed.

"And what about the whole 'all women shall shave.' What if I don't want to? Guys don't have to." She continued to argue.

"Don't even get me started on the testosterone based rule that declares women with longer legs and smaller feet more attractive. So what if a girl is shorter and has big feet? You should pay attention to their minds and hearts, not their freaking outfits and measures." Bethany gasped for air, she hadn't realized she was talking so fast.

It's kind of hot when you're frustrated like that, Zach was smirking at Bethany. She laughed and her father stared at her weirdly. She quickly gained her posture again and Zach looked away from Bethany, not wanting her father to notice they were talking. You know, without actually taking.

Mrs. Harlow walked over to Bethany and kissed her at the top of her head. "Your father wants me to tell you to shut up." She said. "But I appreciate you standing up for women, you make your mom a proud one."

"Dad just doesn't understand 'cause he's a guy." Adelaide jumped into conversation. She too had been listening to her sister. "He doesn't have to deal with any of the real struggles."

"So, what, now my three girls are attacking me?" Mr. Harlow joked. "And by the way, I'll have you know guys have to deal with plenty of society standards as well."

"Is this a competition now?" Mrs. Harlow questioned.

"Ugh, male bravado. Always wanting to make nothing into something." Bethany mocked, clearly wanting to frustrate her father.

"That's not true!" Joey defended. He really didn't want to join the conversation but he couldn't help himself at the volume the family was arguing. They were pretty loud and he could hear everything from the living room.

The conversation dwelled further and sparked many arguments but the family was intrigued by it all.

A/N:

-XOXO