Chapter 3

A little birdie told me you were about to press the star at the bottom of this page, it also told me it never lies.

"Life is about balance. Be kind but don't let people abuse you. Trust, but don't be deceived. Be content but never stop improving yourself." —Unknown.

Chapter 3

The Harlow's were having dinner with tranquility. That was until Joey began to mock his sister Bethany. He thought Bethany reacted in a more entertaining way than his sister Adelaide.

"Did you find yourself a boyfriend in the looney bin?" Joey asked Bethany.

Bethany calmly set her fork down. She was more mad about the fact that he ruined super than the obnoxious mocking he was giving.

"No," Bethany said. "But I think I may have found someone for you there." She replies. "She looks about sixty."

Joey wrinkles his nose and discreetly sends her a certain finger so their parents wouldn't notice. They didn't. Parents were oblivious sometimes.

Bethany's phone buzzed in her back pocket. Knowing that her father and mother did not like the usage of phones within the walls of the dining room, she tried to answer the text under the table.

You should've been at yesterday's party. It was insane. It was Bethany's boyfriend.

He too could be oblivious at times.

Yeah, I bet it was. She replied.

She didn't think she even liked parties; however, she never missed one. Mostly because she'd become an outcast if she did. Not wanting to answer another message, she shut her phone off. She really wasn't in the mood to tolerate her party-obsessed boyfriend.

"Mom, Dad, I'm not really hungry. May I be excused?" Bethany asked. Her family was incredibly old fashioned and any slip up made her look like a disgrace. Maybe it was best if her parents never found out about what really went on in her High School parties. She almost never called them 'parties' in front of adults, she called them 'gatherings.'

"Sure, honey." Mr. Harlow replied when he noticed his wife ignored their daughter. She still wasn't content with Bethany.

Bethany frowned, noticing the treatment her mother was giving her. She picked up her plate and cup, and took them to the kitchen. Sighing, she wondered how much longer her mother would be mad at her.

All Beth wanted to do was go back in time and never cheat on the damn test. She had gotten lucky. Since it was her first offense and she was in the honor roll, she only got a warning. She could have received a month worth of school detention or an expulsion, but she didn't. Although she was glad, she wished the school would've done something greater for her punishment so that she wouldn't have to pay for it at home.

Going up to her room she started to hear ringing in her ear. Shivers ran down her spine. She brushed it off and continued walking to her room. A strange face flashed before her eyes, she knew she'd seen it somewhere before. It was eerie how real it looked. Like it was a real guy standing in front of her. Bethany grabbed the skin on her arm, and pinched. She wasn't dreaming. All of a sudden she was cold, and terrified. Convincing herself that it was probably nothing, she shrugged it off.

"I don't believe in ghosts." She muttered to herself.

But, for the rest of the night, she tried to figure out where she had seen that face. She couldn't make out any of its features. It was just super white, pale, she knew that. But the feeling she got around it, she recognized it.

Once in her room, she laid in bed, closed her eyes, and tried to picture it all over again.

In the middle of Bethany's attempt to remember the face, she heard the soft voice of a male whisper "belle âme," directly into her ear.

Her eyes shot wide open and she sat upright. Her breathing was heavy, and instantaneously she drenched in cold sweat. Panting, she asked, "who's in here?" But looking around she saw no one.

The sun was beginning to set but since her window was facing east, their was only sunlight peering from seven AM to seven PM. After that, her room began to dim. It was seven thirty. She hopped off her bed to turn her lights on.

Looking around, she didn't see anyone. Angry, she stormed out of her room and left to her brother's.

"Joey!" She yelled at his door, pounding on it. "Idiot! Open the door, you jackass! I know you were in my room!"

Joe, who was barely coming upstairs, spoke from behind her. "What are you talking about, psycho?"

"You were in my room!" She walked towards him to the edge of the stairs.

"Dude, I'll give you your stupid pen later. Sorry, damn."

Bethany was confused. "What?" She asked.

"I grabbed a pen yesterday." He said, rubbing his eyes. "Isn't that why you almost broke down my door?"

Beth shook her head. "No, you were beside my bed. I heard you—?" She realized she sounded crazy. There was no way Joe could have gone in her room and gotten out without making the noise an elephant would. He was the most clumsy person she had ever met. "Never mind. Sorry I bothered you, Joe." She said, irritated.

Joey looked at his sister with worriedness now. "You okay, Beth?"

"No, yeah." She passively answered. "I just thought I heard something—well, someone in my room."

"It's probably nothing," he reassured. "But I can go check out your room if you want."

Beth smiled, recalling the various times she had woken up Joey at the crack of dawn to check under her bed for monsters. And the closet.

"No, Joey. It's fine. I'm going to bed, okay?"

"Okay." He replied. He watched her go into her room before he slipped into his.

A/N:

Thanks for reading up to the third chapter of TGFTIA

I hope you give this chapter a vote and continue reading :)

-XOXO