Chapter 7

It's unlucky to not vote on chapter 7. Just saying.

"The real meaning of enlightenment is to gaze with undimmed eyes on all darkness." —Nikos Kazantzakis

Chapter 7

Bethany had changed into extra clothes and was arriving the raging teenage high school party. Already hating it and wishing she was home, napping.

Her boyfriend appeared at the front door to greet her, a red cup in each hand.

"Hey, babe." He smiled as he handed Beth a cup.

She took it and smiled at him. She didn't tell him she didn't want to drink out of fear that he would make fun of her so she simply took a small sip. When he turned to greet a friend, she spilled half of her drink on a patch of grass next to the doorway. He turned back and reached for her free hand, taking her inside the house.

"Mason, I need to be home in about two hours. I won't be able to stay for long." She told him.

"That's fine, babe. You've been kind of awol though. Are you okay?"

She nervously fidgeted in place. "Well," she began, trying to decide what to say. "It's just a lot of homework." That was only a partial lie. "Yeah. It's a lot. And I don't have as much time as I did before. But it's okay, I think I'm getting better at the whole time management thing. So, yeah." She rambled a bit. Then she looked up to see Mason again.

He noticed and looked away from his phone in a snap. "Sorry, what was that?"

"Nothing," she told him, frowning. "Never mind." She whispered. He did that a lot, ignore her. But Bethany put up with it to keep the facade of the power couple everyone thought they were.

After about an hour of Mason dragging Bethany to talk to his friends, Beth glanced at her phone to check the time.

Nine-twelve.

"Crap," she muttered. It was past nine o'clock. "Hey, Mason, I'm going to go to the pool."

He gave her a funny look, but didn't tell her to stay. She rolled her eyes and left.

It's was the middle of May. Maine had nice weather around this time, but nobody was at the pool. They were all too busy getting drunk and high inside the house. She shut the slide-door and sat in a tanning chair, the noise of the loud music becoming slightly dulled.

She quickly opened her phone to the Skype app and called Zachary. He answered only a few rings later.

"Hey!" She said, a little too excited. She mentally questioned why she did that.

"Hey," he said softly, with a small smirk playing at his lips.

"I would've called sooner but I got a little distracted. Sorry." She apologized.

"It's alright. I figured you were busy. Or you forgot." Zachary feigned hurt, placing a hand over his chest. He hated the contrast his pale hands had against his grey sweater.

Bethany rolled her eyes, playfully. "I didn't mean to forget."

"No, I know." He playfully rolled his eyes. "So, how's the party going so far?"