People are people; the worst comes out when money is at stake, sometimes one can even be wealthy but desiring more pushes them to react.

Now, I live here in this rooftop apartment in Noryangjin, it's cold in winter, and a furnace in summer, a little damp, the roof is a bit low, and I'm two months late on the rent. Despite that, it's the only place I can call home, even though it's temporary.

311726, hash key, and the door to my wasteland clicks open; the room is a mess. The newspaper clippings of the accident cover the wallpaper's brown spots; one can barely see the coffee table where my law books are stacked.

My clothes are dispersed here and there, with all my odd jobs, I don't have time to fix the place, and as I said, it's temporary investing in the residence will mean I plan to stay. That's something I won't do.

When I lost my spot on the national swimming team, I changed and enrolled in SNU Law. Tuition and bills, I'm barely poking my head out of the water, but I must go to the end of this. It's the only legal way I have of discovering the truth one day.

Studying is what I do when I don't hunt for information; it's also an occupation that prevents me from drowning in the abyss of negativity. It's a way of absorbing the massive flux of anxiety, which seems like a second skin I can't shed.

As I mentioned, the person who ruined my existence is probably untouchable, and to approach them; there aren't many options. Seoul is full of millionaires, celebrities, and business tycoons. Finding this person is like looking for a needle in a haystack without cash or connections.

The method I'm using to track the driver down is simple; I work where these people are, nightclubs, sports clubs, golf courses, restaurants, hotels, you name them, I've been there, and if I haven't, I won't be long before I get there.

I observe, ask questions, and speculate with the hope someone will speak one day.

Working in those places is also how I end up waking up next to women like Mirae. Neglected by husbands on business trips, men who are probably cheating on them with a PA or flight attendant, these beautiful house babes tango with me while the big wallet is away.

My phone vibrates in my pocket:

Caller Soo Ae

"What do you want?"

"How are you?"

"I told you not to call anymore," I say as my eye follows a spider swings down from the ceiling and is now dangling on its thread.

"밥은 잘 챙겨먹고 다니지? "[ Are you eating well?].

"Don't play dumb, Soo Ae, don't call anymore."

As usual, I end the call by being aggressive towards her. It's stronger than me, despite that Soo Ae still doesn't want to let go.

Soo Ae is from a respectable family; her dad works at City Hall. Her mother is a housewife, and her sister is a promising violinist. Soo Ae herself is an archer who joined the National team when I did. We are worlds apart now that I'm an orphan, without money.

By Korean standards, I'm no longer an eligible party. I figured it out when I spied the message Soo Ae's mother sent her about a Sogaeting [type of blind dating] a month after my parent's death.

It was evident Soo Ae's parents would not leave me with their daughter after what happened. They're responsible parents; they must look out for their child's future.

Who in their right mind would allow their beloved daughter, with a penniless guy still mourning his parents?

A guy who doesn't care enough for his life can not have someone else's entrusted in his hands.

I accept that, but Soo Ae refuses to comprehend. I don't know what she is expecting. It's as though she hopes time will heal everything, and we'll get back together.

The problem is that even if I could get back to her, I wouldn't because she is an imprint of the happy moments of my life. When I see her, I see my mother buying her energy drinks, Min Ho asking her to teach him to aim, and my dad playing chess with her.

Soo Ae was part of a puzzle that doesn't exist anymore, and I can't face the memory mirror she represents.

Our love burned in the car that took my family's life, and we can't rebuild it with ashes.

Billie Eilish ft. Khalid-Lovely

 Khalid-Lovely