OFF TRACK

I'm pretty, intelligent, and wealthy

I'm pretty, intelligent, and wealthy. Why, why doesn't he see me?

My strokes are violent, and so is the painting; anger pushes me to paint. Looking at my work, I know I'm exploding.

I'm angry at Jane and Brad for keeping secrets, but above all, I'm just fucking mad at myself for being jealous like a 12-year-old would.

Yes, I'm an adult, I'm supposed to be mature, but I still have this crush which at this stage, I have no choice but to call it love, yep, the sentiment for that Henry lookalike is that profound.

Deep down, I still desire my cousin to tell me all her secrets, so we can giggle together because it's all I have going for me. If only I could do a rewind of the time, we were like Siamese twins.

People think I'm so damn happy because I have everything one can wish for; it's not entirely wrong, but it isn't right either. Having what I want would mean having Brad and an average family.

"Are you okay, Mona?" My mom says from the door; she knows that something is nibbling my conscience when my paintbrushes are out. Painting takes in my tormented emotions; art is my catharsis.

The canvas becomes the keeper of the darkness that cloaks me. Once I finish, I feel cleansed, immaculate in thought.

Mom has just got back, and she's taking off her hijab. My mom is going through a faith crisis again; she has moments like that where she wants to connect with Allah and repent.

It happens when she visits family in Egypt; what's cool is she doesn't impose her religion on me and lets me live. Dad is cool, too, in his way. He allows mom to do her thing, dad loves her unconditionally, it's beautiful to see, and I wish someone would feel for me that way.

My dad loves my mom more than she does him. Mom admitted it once she never felt anything for anyone like she did for my deceased father, and she has never gotten over the grief.

I never met my birth father, but the one I have is perfect, he's a hard man, but he's military. What do you expect?

Dad is more open-minded than what people think, even if, with his blonde hair and cold blue eyes, you'd imagine him in the KGB and torturing people in some abandoned warehouse. It's what he probably does when he's on missions, but I don't want to know.

Many people say he looks like Dolph Lundgren, the guy who plays Rocky's opponent in Rocky IV, but for me, he's my dad. The one who buys me everything and punishes me military style when I do wrong.

Brad and Jane still shudder when they recall how he made me stand on my knees with my hands behind my head a whole day without food or water when I got a tattoo done in Itaewon.

I do all of these crazy things, but I'm not too fond of the idea of disappointing my dad, it's not that he scares me more than mom, but I guess I love him more than her. Perhaps I'm just trying to give back to the man who offered us a better life, or I'm trying to fill the gap of love my mother owes him. Nevertheless, I love and respect him; my dad was always the person I thought of when Jane tried to convince me to take Nirvana Blue or do other crazy stuff.