⊱⊰ 10: On the Road [Revised] ⊱⊰

Start from the beginning

Arisa's heart sped, realizing that she wouldn't see those warm smiles for a long time. For a few seconds, they stared at each other as Arisa couldn't find any words to tell them a farewell.

Her grandmother touched Arisa's hair as if she was fixing it. She then rubbed Arisa's shoulders.

"This is it," said her grandmother, her coffee eyes meeting Arisa's. "Starting from today, I will have to be patient and pray that I will see you again safe and healthy."

Arisa took a deep breath and grabbed her grandmother's hand.

"I don't want to hear that you'll spend your days worrying about me." Arisa squeezed her grandmother's hand. "I want to hear that you'll wait for my arrival with a huge smile on your face."

Her grandmother shook her head. "I can't promise you that, my princess. You will be traveling the worlds and you might meet those Guardians who will do anything to rip you away from us. Not to mention that the Masters won't give you an easy battle. There's no way I can relax knowing that you're on a dangerous quest."

Arisa sighed, understanding her grandmother's concern. Putting herself on her grandmother's shoes, she would surely worry about a loved one leaving for such a dangerous quest.

However, looking at her grandmother's age, Arisa was concerned with her health. For a woman who had been working with medicinal plants for most of her life, her grandmother hardly fell ill. But Arisa had heard from her grandmother herself that worries could affect a person's health.

"I'm a Guardian now," said Arisa. "Besides, I have been trained by two skillful people all my life. I'll be fine, grandma. Don't worry."

Her grandmother smiled at her, but Arisa could see that she was doubtful.

"I'll be sure to distract your grandmother, so she won't have time to lose herself in her thoughts." Her grandfather winked at Arisa.

Arisa giggled. "I'm counting on you, grandpa."

"Now, you also be careful out there," said her grandfather. "I'm sure you can handle the obstacles you'll meet along the way, so I'm not worried. But always keep your guard raised. No matter what."

Arisa nodded. With the Guardians possibly on the run to find her and the Masters being tough opponents, Arisa was sure that lowering her guard was out of the question.

"And if you meet that boy again," her grandfather added, caressing her dark head, "don't hesitate to protect yourself; always remember that he's your enemy."

Upon hearing her grandfather's advice, Arisa felt as if her heart was tightened with sharp chains. She knew that her grandfather's words were a civil way of telling her to kill Zen.

Arisa curled her fingers that were hidden under her dark cloak. She tried not to show her grandfather a hesitant expression. Despite what happened back in the Forbidden Lands, she couldn't imagine herself killing Zen. They had spent so many years together that her heart still couldn't bear to engage with him in a battle of life and death.

"Don't worry, Mr. Sorano," said Kazuya, breaking the short silence. "I won't allow him to approach her. He'll have to bring me down to reach her."

Arisa's gaze froze on the grassy ground. She knew what expression Kazuya displayed as he said those words.

Her hands trembled as she tried to understand why everything ended this way. She remembered how their friends were amazed by the strong bonds the three of them had. They always told them that nothing could break them apart. Yet here they were, planning to take each other down.