Chapter Three

After three months, Sammie and Sapphire took a house meeting after eating a dinner of spaghetti and meatballs. Holding glasses of orange juice for refreshment, they looked across the table at each other.

"We need to discuss our next steps," Sapphire said. Sammie sipped her orange juice with a calm expression, not giving away anything.

"Go ahead." She waved her hand to gesture for Sapphire to go ahead.

"Well, I think we've done well. We both have stopped smoking altogether by now, both of us have been eating healthy and exercising more. Taking our vitamins, saving a lot more money. We both have jobs, you at the factory and me working in the school. We've got about seven hundred and fifty pounds in the savings account. The only thing we haven't done is move."

"This flat won't go for much, I can assure you," Sammie said, with a slight frown.

"No we bought it for a two hundred deposit and the rent is only a hundred a week..."

"So we won't get much and we won't be able to buy any better."

"Maybe forget a proper house. Maybe we could get another flat but with more space?"

"It couldn't hurt...." Sammie said as she tapped her finger against her chin, thoughtfully.

"It might work out cheaper and easier as well," Sapphire added.

"We'll look into it. We'll keep at it though. We're getting there. So let's keep trying for this flat," Sammie reached across the table and took Sapphire's hand. "We're close now, Saffie. Let's not give up now." Sapphire smiled at Sammie, encouraged by her girlfriend's cheered look. She knew herself how close they were to getting a baby. Just a little longer and they would be there. It had been a tiring and exhausting journey but she was not about to give up when they were so close...

***********

Sapphire leaned against the wall, stretching her arms out. Herself, her parents, Sammie and her parents were all helping move boxes around the spacious flat. Sapphire was amazed at the beauty of the flat. It was perfect. There were two bedrooms, a bathroom, a kitchen, a living room and a spare room for something they could decide on later. They had got extremely lucky with this place. Only 90 quid a week but they would have to pay their own utilities.

"Okay?" Sammie stopped by Sapphire to check on her. She was struggling under the weight of a cardboard box.

"I'm fine. Do you need help?"

"No this is the last of it." Sammie smiled at Sapphire and left. Sapphire inhaled deeply, smelling the fresh paint and went to join her family to help unpack.

The boxes were all unpacked and still, there was plenty of space. This was when their parents decided to take their leave. Once the kisses and hugs were out of the way, the pair flopped onto the black leather couch.

"Well, we did it." Sammie beamed at Sapphire as she spoke. Sapphire smiled back.

"We did. We should give it a couple of weeks before trying at the doctors though. Make sure we're all good." Sammie nodded in agreement.

"That's probably for the best."

Sapphire snuggled into Sammie who held Sapphire. Both of them sat in silence. The electricity and gas were working but they had not yet changed their T.V license to the new address nor was there much else to do. But they were content to sit there and think peacefully in the new flat.