Green eyes, blue eyes

Emily and Lucian sank back in their chairs, aiding themselves with golden goblets of warm butter beer. They had been dancing for quite a while, dancing for the sake of the Yule Ball, dancing because they had been told to do so. The two barely practiced the dance routine, Lucian watched Viktor Krum to know what to do next. Emily also kept an eye on Fleur Delacour, lessening the amount of times she would normally step on her dance partner’s feet.

Lucian, like Emily, had no coordination whatsoever. During the middle of the opening dance, he almost tossed her like a salad while picking her up from the floor by her waist. But, thankfully, nobody noticed.

“I think it’s best to just stay here until the ball ends,” Emily suggested, looking at the golden goblet in her hands, “Who says it’s not fun to stay put in one’s seat until midnight?” She asked, a feeling of dread spreading throughout her entire body.

He shrugged, looking over to the crowd of students on the dance floor, “We could talk. You know, about... things.” Lucian said, looking over the empty seat of the other dinner tables, “Lovely weather we’re having, don’t you agree?”

She nodded, agreeing, “Yes, it is quiet so.” Emily said over enthusiastically. Lucian grinned by the happy tone of her voice, a sense of relief rushed throughout his body knowing that he wasn’t killing her with his dull conversation starter, “You gotta love snow, right?” He added, his face turning to a peculiar shade of red, Emily controlled her laughter upon seeing his embarrassment, “Oh, love it. Absolutely, snow is the best.”

“Excuse me,” A voice said over her shoulder, “I hope you won’t mind if I ask for a minute or so of your company.”

Emily looked up and saw Percy, dressed in his usual pinstripe suit and horn-rimmed glasses. Astonished by his presence, she looked at Lucian who seemed to have felt as surprised as she was, “Well, don’t let me keep you, I guess.” He said, unsure of what to think of Percy and Emily dancing.

Emily glanced at Lucian, fright in her eyes. Lucian only returned a smile, encouraging her to stay relaxed and calm. In their various conversations, she had confessed to him that she had fancied Percy Weasley for a brief time. And that knowing Percy thought of Emily as a vile snake, she no longer felt anything towards him, growing cold by his presence.

Lucian told her otherwise, telling her to keep moving on and pretend to not know anything of Percy’s thoughts. “You could use that to your advantage, not now of course. But someday, perhaps, maybe.” Emily took a note of this, and then felt at ease when Percy had offered her his arm, “Shall we?”

She took it, proceeding to waltz by the dance floor, “What are you doing here?” Emily asked, her words coming out harsh than she had expected it to be, “I’m sorry, what I meant to ask was –“

“It’s alright,” He said with a grin, “I’m filling in for the Minister of Magic he recently promoted me as his secretary so here I am.” Percy said, obviously proud of his achievements; they continued to dance, silence between the two of them. Emily took a long look around the Great Hall, searching for the face her brother, Harry. She saw him, sitting next to Ron, both having the expressions of two century-old corpses, obviously bored out of their minds. She had also noticed that their dates had ditched them for two Durmstrang boys; Emily didn’t have the need to ask why the explanation was pretty clear in their faces.

“It seems positively stupid of me to ask this but how are you?” Percy asked with a genuinely concerned look on his face. Emily shrugged, looking away from him, “I’ve had better days than this.” She said passively.

“I know it’s been hard, with the scar and all...” Percy said, his voice trailing off, “But you’ve got to stay strong, Em.”

“Oh, how would you know?” She spat, her green eyes piercing, “You don’t have to live your life looking like me.”