Doppelgangers

“Stunningly pretty?” Pansy Parkinson scoffed, glaring at Hermione over at the other end of the library, “She would be if she were compared to a salamander! Was this Skeeter woman not wearing her glasses when she first saw Granger?” She said, adding volume to her voice to deliberately make Hermione listen.

Emily shot a look at Pansy, leaning over the table to Pansy’s side, “Shut up, Parkinson.” She said, grabbing her collar, “You can’t even hold a candle to Granger; go back to the front of a mirror and make yourself pretty, since that’s the only thing you can do to make yourself not as dead as your personality.” She said, pushing her back into her seat.

Pansy angrily stood up from her chair, an ear screeching noise erupting from the floor, “You used to hate that mop-haired freak! Go back to that bloody house if you want, Slytherin will gladly give you back, blood traitor.” She gathered her books and furiously walked out, heavily stomping out her anger to the tile floor.

Emily smiled at herself and leaned back into her chair, blood traitor, huh? Some friend she is, she doesn’t even know that I’m not a pure blood.

When she was about to leave herself, Hermione slowly grabbed the vacant chair beside Emily and sat down.

H: Thank you.

E: She had it coming.

Out of nowhere, Hermione starts to laugh. Emily moves away from her, narrowing her eyes at the scene, “What’s funny, Hermione? Did you steal something from Madam Pomfrey’s medicine cabinet again?” She asked. Hermione shook her head, a grin on her face, “Last year, the year after that, and after that, you hated my guts. What made you change your opinion about me?”

Emily looked down at her tightly clasped hands and shrugged, “It’s all because of Harry, actually.” She looked up at her and grinned, “And I knew there was no getting rid of you since you are my brother’s best friend, let’s just say you crept up on me, Granger.”

Suddenly, they heard heavy footsteps rushing towards them. It was Harry. Out of breath and eyes glimmering with adrenaline, he collapsed in the chair next to his sister, “I-I’ve been looking for you everywhere!” Harry said, panting, “I e-even asked two of those Beauxbatons girls, the one with Zabini and the one that’s named Carla, I think.”

“You must have been desperate to find me if you had asked Jalia and Carlotta, that took guts for you, talking to girls.” Emily said, poking his stomach, “What’s with the rush, big brother?”

Harry exchanged looks with Emily and Hermione, checking the area if it was clear of students or any other life forms, “It’s Sirius,” He said frantically, “He’s here. At the grounds, I saw him.”

“He’s in Animagi form, of course,” Hermione commented, “Harry; he takes a form of a big black dog. For all we know that dog you saw at the grounds could have just come from the Forbidden Forest.”

Emily scoffed, leaning against her chair, “Just when I told you I thought of you as a friend, you ruin things.” She successfully pulled a tired Harry from a chair and charmed a book nearby to fan him with the fast turning of its pages, “Look, Animagi form Sirius or not, we are going to take a look, won’t we, Harry?”

He reluctantly looked up from the comfort of his fan-esque book and nodded, “Yes, yes we are.” Harry stood up, and closed the book, “Let’s go before Sirius or the dog leaves.”

“Are you seriously going to see if it really is him?” Hermione hissed, “If it isn’t Sirius – “

“Hermione,” Harry said with a heavy sigh, “Put yourself in our shoes. Sirius is the only family we’ve got, and not by blood mind you. Animagi form or not, we are going.”