Rain

Norman had limited time and he knew it. At first, he began to just linger through the woods, sadness seeping into every cell of his body and pain clouding his senses.

Where should one go to die? Their birthplace? Norman had been born in the back of a Metal Mover. His father and mother used to live in it, along with him, until one day they were chased off by hounds.

He doubted going back there was a good idea. Enough people had died there. Maybe he would remember his mother then, if he went there. No, now was not a time for anything that place had to provide.

Perhaps he should go down to where the crops were, in the field. No, no. If he lost it there, he would endanger his family.

Norman stopped, rubbing his aching arm as he did. Would he make it anywhere? Everything hurt.

Then it began to rain.

Like in his dreams.

Like when it happened.

Norman sighed and shuffled over to a tree, leaning against the trunk.

He had always hated the rain.

He remembered it was raining the day she left.

Where had she gone?

Janis never liked the rain either.

They were alike in so many ways.

He smiled faintly, perhaps they had been related. Then he lost the smile. He never told them. He always meant to tell them. He had always lead them on to believe Janis was his actual sister, since people only really travelled with family and partners, never others. He never told them Janis wasn't his sister. He meant to after her death. Now he never would...

Norman sighed and pushed himself off the tree. Where should he go? He had to make up his mind...

Then he realized the perfect place.

The most perfect place in the world.

The stone tent.