Part Six

"Birds sing after a storm. Why shouldn't people feel as free to delight in whatever sunlight remains to them?"

~Rose Kennedy

_________

After sharing Ellison's story, Archer told me about his own father who didn't accept having a gay son either. But he went the route of simply pretending Archer didn't exist and favoring Archer's twin over him. But his mother was totally accepting and adored Ellison as if he were her own son.
"Now its your turn, what's your story, kid?"
Ellison joked, though his tone was serious. I appreciated that they shared their stories first. I felt better about telling mine.
"Ever since I could remember, I felt like a boy. But everyone always told me I was a girl.  So I cut my hair and confronted my parents. They didn't take it well at all, so I left. And then you guys found me"
The story spilled out of me like word vomit, I couldn't seem to control it.
"That would explain that terrible hack job"
Archer joked, gesturing to my head. I looked upward at the choppy bangs hanging in my eyes.
"I know this seems pretty sudden, and you still don't know us very well. But we'd like you to stay with us, at least until you find another place. I'm a barber and I can fix your hair for you and you'll have a warm place to sleep"
My heart warmed at the gesture, I was a complete stranger to these men, yet they were offering their home to me and to fix my hair. I felt tears prick my eyes at their kindness.
Archer noticed and patted my back in a comforting way.
Then I said the words that would unknowingly change my entire life.
"I'd like that"

____________