Part Two

"If you're going through hell,
Just keep going. "

~ Winston Churchill

__________

"Lucy Grace Roth, what have you done!"
My mothers voice was like a gunshot, slicing through the almost content bliss that had formed around me. I hadn't even heard her enter the bathroom, her work heels clicking against the hardwood floor. Normally that sound was a signal to throw off the bandage around my chest and stuff myself back into the disgusting skirts that filled my closet. But not today, I was tired of hiding behind Lucy's clothes, behind her smile and her empty laugh.
I slowly turned my head to face her, her shocked expression gave me a sliver of satisfaction.
"Lucy's not here"
I barely recognized my own voice, Lucy's had been soft and quiet, but Lukas' s voice was confident and demanded the attention of the entire room.
"What are you talking about? Nevermind, you are grounded until your hair grows back. What do you have to say for yourself, young lady?"
I felt a smirk grace my features, finally I could give the response I had always dreamed of.
"I have nothing to say, because I am not a young lady"

..............

The silence in the room was suffocating, I felt like I was being murdered by the two sets of eyes glaring at me. Like they were trying to burn holes in my head with their gaze.
"Explain yourself! "
It was my father who spoke now, his arrival had initiated the heated stare down between my parents and I. His cold gaze showed deep disapproval, I simply glared back and said nothing.
"Answer me when I speak to you, Lucy!"
Again I held my tongue as the steam poured from his ears, after all, he was talking to Lucy, not me. Why should I speak for her anymore?
"Listen to your father"
It was my mother this time, looking at me with such hatred it almost made me sad
"Im listening, but he isnt speaking to me"
She rolled her eyes in angry disbelief
"Stop this nonsense, you are not a boy, you are Lucy. You are my daughter! "
My blood started to boil and I could no longer hold my composure.
"I am your son!"
"I have no son!"

_________