Chapter Two: The Android Factory

Start from the beginning

     "Still doesn't explain why it would take hours to order it online. Is it because of a wait time?"

     The woman purses her lips as if to laugh, but she beamed him another one of her flashy smiles. "No wait times, Mr. North. Our customers are just passionate about building their customizations, and we deliver the best of the best. Sometimes they want a hair color changed, or a certain pigmentation, or height, even reproductive organs," she blushed at the latter, though she quickly hid it with her retail-ready smile.

     Tyler had heard about these before, and he couldn't believe he almost forgot. Sometimes, personalized androids as playthings were popular in disreputable markets, but half of the population used them as personal assistants in corporations, hospitals, and even as just household help. He had seen a couple of CEOs in other companies sandwiched by female androids as their assistants from time to time in the magazines.

     "Look, can't I do something to speed up the process? I don't think I have enough time to fill up a form online or wait for an Android two weeks to get me some help in my line of work, you know?"

     "I do apologize for the inconvenience, Mr. North, but I wish we could do what you ask for, but—" she leaned in closer and whispered, "not a lot knows this, and you've received a remarkable voucher, I would go to the factory in Brooklyn. They can handle customary purchases of androids there, and they build you a model within a few hours. Though, I suggest it would help thinking it over online instead of there. But you can try your luck," the woman shrugged.

     "A factory?"

     "Oh, yes. The main factory here for the New York branch. To be honest, I'm surprised you are not there. Usually, premium customers go there to build their customizations. Kind of like a Build-a-bear, but a giant one."

     I didn't know that, Tyler thought.

     "I can give you the address. But, customers do require a reservation."

     Tyler rolled his eyes. "Well, let's hear it."

     "As you can see, premium customers need reservations at the factory to have an attendant walk them through the process. I can check if there's an availability for today, but I apologize in advance if there isn't one," she said, pouting her lips.

     "That's okay. Could you please do that?"

     The woman typed things on the computer, taking her sweet time on the screen. Tyler looked around the store, which was already half-full of customers. One boy, probably around eight-years-old, carried a soft ice cream, ran and pointed at the innocent-looking female android Tyler watched earlier, and his mother called in a store clerk to package it for home. The female android crouched down and touched the boy's hand, but his mother quickly swatted it away.

     "Don't touch, honey! Not right now. You'll put ice cream on it then we have to clean it up!"

     The female android looked at the family and frowned. "I apologize if I have caused an offense. It is not my intention to do so."

     The mother glared at the female android for a second and turned back to the store clerk. "On second thought, we don't want this one. I don't like the voice."

     "We can change the settings of her voice, ma'am."

     The mother thought about that for a second and then nodded. "Okay. But make sure its hair is a bit short, too. I don't like her look. Make her less pretty than me."

     The store clerk nodded, and the family moved on to sit on a couch by the storefront windows. The store clerk ushered the female android to a door at the back of the store. It had been a long time since Tyler had been in a SynTech store, and it was still strange to see people purchasing human-looking machines. The woman behind the desk tapped Tyler by the shoulder, pulling him out of the scene.