Chapter Fifteen: A Promise by the Trees

Tyler couldn't fall asleep; not when Aiden filled his thoughts. He was anxious, excited, and yet scared at the same time what Reese might have to say tomorrow after he sobered up a little bit. Reese already admitted that he didn't know what was wrong With Aiden or his unique circumstances, though, Tyler felt Reese was hiding something.

     Tyler tried to change his position on the bed, hoping it would lull him to sleep. That didn't work. He tried counting sheep, but it was a waste of time. Then, he felt the cool breeze outside entered his dark room and turning around to face the balcony doors.

     It was open.

     Beyond the windowpane, Aiden stood quietly at the balcony. Curious, Tyler climbed out of bed, felt the cold breeze even more as he grabbed a loose shirt hanging by the sofa and put it on, and then sauntered his way to Aiden's side.

     The stars shone brightly out in the countryside, away from the blanket of lights of New York, and Tyler found himself smiling. Here the lights illuminated the rolling mountains and hills miles beyond the estate and the woods that surrounded it, and seeing through the darkness like this made him feel like he saw through the eyes of a cat.

     "Enjoying the view?" asked Tyler.

     "I've never seen so much of them," said Aiden. "Such opulence hiding behind the veiled mist."

     "That's light pollution for you. Well, pollution in general. Here, we're far away from the city so you can see the stars clearer. Maybe even the milky way if we go farther enough out on the countryside."

    "Can we do that sometime?" asked Aiden excitedly.

     "Of course! There's always time for stargazing."

     They made a game counting out the stars, but Tyler lost count at ninety. He tried to name their constellations, but he couldn't remember them.

     "Imagine that those lights contain worlds just like ours. And here we are, standing here on this blue planet, watching them without knowing. I wonder if there's one like me in one of those worlds. How exciting it will be to meet him, or if ever he's just like me," said Aiden.

     Tyler wanted to smile, but a frown materialized instead. He gazed between Aiden and to the stars, a deep knot tightening in his chest. "Sometimes, you scare me, Aiden."

     "Why?"

     "Because of things like that. Things you say. Things you do. Sometimes, I feel others can see it, too, and that scares me even more."

     "It's only small talk. You programmed me to have high social relations, versed in the manners of current events along with literature and history. I thought you like talking about these things," Aiden said, smiling.

     "I do, but sometimes, I don't know whether it came from your programming or if it came from something else."

     "Like what?"

     "I don't know. I can't even answer that myself."

     "And that scares you?"

     "In a sense, yes. It's not something you see often."

     Aiden went quiet, smoothing the invisible creases of his Android uniform. He sported a deep frown as he studied the stars once again, and Tyler felt guilty for making him feel that way.

     Feel? Damn, what am I thinking? Is Aiden even capable of that?

     "I see, Tyler," said Aiden.