Muted Chapter 1

My name is Marianna Walters and I am mute.

8 months earlier

"Mom, just for a couple hours," I complained in the whiniest voice I could muster up. I pestered her for the next five minutes straight, trying gain access to the car keys in her left pocket.  The mall was calling for me and chanting in a way that only a teenage girl can understand. My battle suddenly ended though when she reached into her pocket. I reached to grab the keys from her 5'10 stance but, she quickly pulled them away and held them above her head.

"First, explain to me just one more time where you are going?" She asked. I sighed impatiently.  Moodiness was a common attitude I exerted from myself. My stance switched from a pitiful groveling to a head cocked to the side and a hand on my hip.

"Nina wants to meet at the mall, where we will be purchasing clothing to cover our bodies. Next, we will go back to her house so I can drop her off because she is taking a cab to the mall. After she walks through the front door of her house, I will then safely drive home and park the car," I smiled up at her.  My cynical, sarcasm was a trait earned from my father who had left not too long ago. But, he was quickly replaced by an impenetrably perfect step- dad.

"Smart-aleck," She muttered and dropped the keys to my awaiting hands. I grabbed them and skipped out of the kitchen with a cheerful pop in my step. "Be careful! There might be some bad weather later," She called. I just shook my head at my mother's overprotectiveness. She had no reason to be. I was a perfect child. I would have been the poster child for any sort of government conspiracy that was trying to get adults to fornicate and produce children.

My grades never escaped the grasp of a 4.0 and drinking, smoking, and drugs were way from my central thoughts. I never had any drama and never really experienced sadness.

I grabbed my green and black pea coat and walked out the door. The freezing cold air stunned me for a moment before I adjusted. I should have been used to the cold but, I do not think anyone could be content with below freezing temperatures.  I pulled a green hat and gloves from the pocket of my coat to slide on. The walk to the car was full of my moaning of the cursed Ohio temperatures. The heaters quickly emitted the most inviting feeling in the world. I sighed with content as I pulled away from the house and towards the mall.

2 hours later

"See you later Nina," I called through the window of the car. Her head shook in acknowledgement but didn’t lift. The wind was blowing snow heavily and I understood her downcast glaze. I waited until she walked through the front door before leaving. I don’t know why I did. It was just habit. The snow was coming down hard by now and I drove slowly. A sudden glance at the clock had me speeding up though as I noticed its proximity to curfew. But, what I thought was clear road, was actually covered in black ice. I felt a prickling of fear as the car suddenly surged forward and spun out. I panicked and made a quick stomp for the brake. It did not help the situation. Just go with it.