Chapter 2: The French Lady's Parasol

The next thing that Axel was aware of, was Hutchingson slapping his face.

"Axel, Axel wake up."

"I haven't actually had a chance to test out this before," Emeline said. "I didn't realize it would have that much coup de pied to it."

"Well now you know," Axel said. His mouth was dry and his head was buzzing.

"Oui, but could I have my purse back?" Emeline asked. She and Hutchingson were leaning over him, looking at him with twin looks of concern. Axel reached into his pocket and tossed her the purse.

"Well now we have that out of the way," Hutchingson said. He stood up, pulling Axel to his feet. "Let us return to the business at hand. Your brother, I assume that you have checked his place of employment?"

Emeline nodded. "No sign of him. He is a curator at the museum. They haven't seen him for two days. The police said there is no sign of foul play and they have more pressing matters to attend to."

Axel watched more then he listened. Hutchingson leaned against his desk, his arms crossed, listening intently. Emeline paced, gesturing as she spoke. His chest still hurt where her damn umbrella had gotten him. What kind of lady went around attacking people? True, he had stolen her purse, but that was no reason to electrocute him.

"Has he done anything like this before?" Hutchingson asked.

"Sometimes he vanishes," Emeline said. "He would always tell me he would be traveling, but-" Her voice trailed off.

"You had your doubts," Hutchingson said.

Emeline nodded. "He's been acting secretive."

"You said your house was searched," Hutchingson said. "Might my assistant and I look around? See what clues the thieves left behind."

"Of course," Emeline replied. "My carriage is outside."

Axel did not miss the side glance she shot him.

"Let me collect my things and we'll meet you down below," Hutchingson said. Emeline gave them shallow curtsey and departed. "A new shirt perhaps, Axel? Let us not look give the upper crust of society any more reason to dislike us than necessary."

The way that Hutchingson phrased it made Axel curious. He wondered at the detective's life before he became a detective. The man seemed to be made of questions, inviting them, but never giving an answer. Already they were off on a proper case and Axel had only just barely agreed to be Hutchingson's assistant.

Axel was still trying to puzzle his way through the questions in his head when they pulled up outside Emeline's house. Everything in this neighborhood seemed to gleam. The houses that lined the street were picturesque with neat green lawns. Even the white stones that lined the streets seemed to shine. There were aristocrats and such out taking a stroll through the streets. Axel was glad that Hutchingson had suggested changing. The dark blue shirt he wore was threadbare, but at least it was clean. Even so, he felt terribly out of place. He pulled his cap lower when a couple dressed in purple and white velvet walked by. The man nodded at Hutchingson and the woman smiled at Emeline.

"The break-in must have happened sometime this morning," Emeline said once the couple had passed them by. She lead them up to the front door. "I was here last night and only left for a few hours to go to the shops. When I got back I noticed that the door had been broken and I came straight to you."

"You haven't been inside?" Hutchingson asked.

Emeline shook her head and pushed the door open. Inside the house was even more impressive than the outside. Rich dark colored carpets, dark mahogany walls, oversized armchairs, and beautifully ornate artifacts filled the room. Papers strewn the carpet, drawers were pulled out and their contents scattered across the room.