𝐄𝐏𝐈𝐋𝐎𝐆𝐔𝐄

Start from the beginning

"Oh my gosh, please, stop it, Kate—"

Owen cut in with a clap, "Why, thank you, sis!"

"Owen!" Claire glared at him once more.

Kate could not help grinning. Honestly, it was kinda hilarious to watch her flush in embarrassment. But Claire had come to take her by the shoulders, steering her away from the door and to a seat, "Come, you sit here." Kate's grin had yet to fade, but apparently, Claire completely ignored that and went on. "Looks like our chef is done," she said shooting a glance at her brother, and left to try and tidy up the table a little bit.

As if on cue, Owen dramatically struck the spatula against a metallic pot to seize attention.

"Ladies and gentlemen, allow me introduce you to my new masterpiece—"

Claire rolled her eyes as she whispered so only Kate would hear. "Here we go, another new recipe~"

"—The B-Bulibase — No, wait, was it Boulibase?"

Both Claire and Kate stared after him at such strange name. They exchanged glances at which both shrugged shaking heads. Sure, cuisines often had crazy names, but this one sounded even weirder, Kate was thinking. Owen did not seem to mind, for he was taking pride in his accomplishment. He placed three bowls of soup on the table while he explained further about the dish. "It's a Mediterranean seafood soup, you see—"

"Wait..." Claire scoffed. "You mean... Bouillabaisse?" When Owen still looked puzzled, she explained, "It's pronounced like Boo-yah-base."

"But why do you know this?" He squinted.

Kate, who had downed one spoonful already and scrunched her face, now slammed her hand on the table. "No, the real question is: why am I the first victim of your cooking experiments always??"

"Actually, I was the first victim this time," Claire piped up from the side, giving her a wink.

Owen scowled, making the girls laugh heartily. He rolled his eyes.

"Yeah, laugh all you want. I might not know how to say its name right, but I'll have you know that I'm a great cook, and my dish is a five star!"

When the girls still kept smiling and snorting from trying to hold in their laughs, he groaned running a hand through his hair. "Man... I don't even get paid for my hard and artistic work!"

With a dramatic sigh, he proceeded to taste the Mediterranean soup he made to establish how great a cook he was, but apparently even he almost choked. "Okay, salt," he mumbled, and started rummaging through the utensils to grab the salt shaker.

Kate only chuckled and gave him a pat on his back when he passed by her. "Yeah, yeah, you're a five-star cook, you should have been a Master Chef already."

"That's what I'm talking about!"

As the trio finally settled down for their breakfast, murmurs of their chatters and the clatters of the spoons against the bowls filled the air replacing the blissful silence of the early morning by the countryside. Her brother was throwing dad jokes in spite of Claire's groans and making Kate nearly choke, when an indistinct squeal drew her attention. Kate jolted to look at the van's window. That sound, that distinct cry, she could never not recognise— But it was impossible, she knew very well, there was no way the lone surviving raptor could be anywhere else other than where they had left her, back at the island, and they were so far and away from there. Even so her breaths hitched at the mere thought... When she looked, indeed there was no sign of her dear raptors, only a mere sparrow took flight, perhaps, being alarmed at something or to find food. Yet she could not stop staring that way, at the branch from which the bird had taken flight, as a little knot twinged somewhere inside.

"What is it?" asked Owen, having noticed her flinch earlier and now her pensive state.

"Oh... nothing," said Kate coming back to sense, and tried to shrug off the glum. But she knew better to think Owen would let it slide like this, so she pulled a smile. "Owen, I was wondering..."

"Hmm?"

"If you have any plans on travelling to Wisconsin anytime soon?"

THE END

P.S. : the SEQUEL which was previously published is now under editing and rewriting, and will soon be published, in sha Allah ~ Please bear with us ;-;