Accidental Assassination

Chapter 2

March 16, 2159

Adelina Morgan

Location: County 4/ County 3

Damn it. I’ve been caught. I rush to the nearest exit, as army officers rush into the room. Three minutes. Theyre all going to die. Confused, the officers look around the room one more time. Hurry the hell up. Finally, the officers give up and leave, their footsteps loud and echoing in the hallway. One minute and thirty seconds. I grab the bomb in the corner. How did the officers not notice it?

            It must be the fiftieth time I’ve dismantled a bomb. Fortunately, the one in front of me is one I’m extremely familiar with: an atomic bomb. Fetching my knife in my pants, I cut both wires, red and blue (I don’t ever know which one to cut) and look around for the neuron trigger. When I spot the small disc, I remove it and start looking for the conventional explosive. Carefully, I pull it out and eliminate it from the rest of the bomb. Sighing in relief, I realize that the first part to explode isn’t in the bomb anymore. Finally, I separate the U-235 masses. Hoping that I don’t die of radiation, I place one in a metal box and the other in the other metal box. I feel my nerves calm down, now that I’ve successfully prevented a bomb explosion.

            “There she is!” I hear, causing my eyes to widen and my head to whip around me. There is a general standing in the doorway, wearing the conspicuous white uniform. I smirk, pushing the metal boxes away from each other, and look for the nearest exit. It just so happens that in this army building, there are many windows, so I pull myself up to the window and jump out, which goes unnoticed by the general because he’s too busy calling for backup. When my feet reach the opening to the window, the general finally realizes that I’m escaping. “Hey! Stop her! It’s Morgan!”

            Before I jump out, I give a little two-finger wave over my shoulder. I’m glad that I changed my cloak; my old one was getting too torn. Hurrying before they catch me, I keep running to the nearest bar in the area.

            “Violet!” The bartender exclaims. Surprised, I understand that I’ve been there before. The bartender motions me over. She’s been calling me ‘Violet’ ever since I’ve been here, because of my purple eyes. It’s extremely rare. No one here knows who I really am, because I don’t tell anyone. Everyone has heard of Adelina Morgan, and knows that she always wears cloaks and has violet eyes, but when I’m out of my cloak, it’s like I’m a different person.

            “Yes?” I ask, my eyebrow raised.

            “Here,” she says, handing me a glass, “drink up.”

            I narrow my eyes at her, questioning, “You know that I’m only twelve, right?”

            That’s another thing that people don’t know. It’s been forgotten that Adelina is actually the daughter of that famous criminal, Winston. So most think that she’s at least eighteen, old enough to be taking care of herself. That’s another reason why no one suspects me.

            I exit the bar and notice all of the graffiti and artwork placed on all the dark, dirty walls. Pictures of two violet eyes under a cloak crowd the entire area. Hero. That’s what everyone in counties four and five think about Adelina Morgan. Everyone thinks that she’s actually rebelling against the nation. Every time she’s been spotted, something unfortunate has been discovered at that location.