(17) Kelsea - Friday 24th August., 11.13 p.m., Kale's Truck & then My Room

Start from the beginning

"So... Where are we going today?" he asked me, and then arched an eyebrow. He was actually interested. Interested to know where I was going.

"Um... Just to town."

The look on his face then was as if he was trying to cram all that he wanted to say into the next few words he spoke. "Is it important? Cause I thought maybe we could ... Well, there's this place. And I think you'd like it."

I was dumbstruck. We had only had a few full conversations and suddenly he wanted to take me to some place. I was suspicious, I remember the full-on, sudden feeling of knowing he was waiting for my answer too. Then again, I enjoyed the times I had talked to him.

You know. I cant believe that now I don't mind admitting I like Kale. Before I was dead-set on hating his cocky attitude, and I was always determined to be angry with him. But now...what's with me?

"Okay," was all I said, but it seemed to please him. I could see it surprised him as well, and it surprised me too. I hadn't stammered, hadn't frowned, hadn't questioned him.

I like surprises anyway.

And what is with this big goofy grin on my face at the moment? As I write about him I am smiling and my heart is warming. Maybe he could be a good friend.

A good friend. Yes.

Anyway, whilst he ran off to get a shirt I sat on the front of his truck, my legs swinging. Suddenly I heard voices that drifted round from the end of the street, and I realised it belonged to some teenage boys that always hung around in dark clothes, riding bikes around town. And with them, Christiana Atticus was always present.

I heard her before I saw her. She was shouting about something and nothing, and I didn't have time to climb off Kale's car before she came round onto the drive, accompanied by four of those boys.

She saw me and a mixture of shock and amusement landed on her face. I don't know how I'm being so descriptive and how I'm remembering all this but it doesn't matter right now. I'm telling a good story here.

-

Okay, Kale is back. Hold on... I can't write with him around.

-

11.40 - Back home, half an our later. Or something. Anyway, time to finish the entry.

-

"Hey, Kelsea!" she bounded up to me and I was stunned. It was as if I talked to her everyday. I'm not going to lie when I say that she's likeable (I do not lie in here anyway) and I don't know how Lucy said she was mean. I suddenly felt so stupid and unreasonable for going all cold with Kale on that first day when I talked to him about her and Lucy. Maybe believing my sister all the time isn't a great idea.

Because Christiana began to talk to me with such friendliness and enthusiasm about Lucy and about how she missed hanging with her. I know she's a year older and I think that's nice of her to still like Lucy. Then she talked about Kale and how annoying he was and if I was his new girlfriend.

"No!" I remember screeching. She just laughed, and for the first time in the day I blushed.I'm sure I did.

Kale came out soon enough. Christiana rolled her eyes as he scowled at the boys who were messing around chewing gum and kicking a football round the road. She soon went back to them before her brother could say anything and they left.

Soon enough, I was riding shotgun in Kale's truck with all the windows fully down so that the Nirvana song on the stereo could blast out onto the streets. Don't even ask me why I trust him. I just do. He's carefree and thoughtful and just... Just true. He's not hiding anything, and he doesn't reject me. That's got to be enough.