Chapter 41

Chapter 41

Blue fire called Nick back from unconsciousness. As he came to, he noticed the other first years from his team laying about on the ground, covered in wounds. Keith stood over him, a strange glowing device in his hand.

"Glad you're awake, now help me out." He offered the device to Nick with a grin.

"What is this?"

"Eh, something the Ints came up with. Pulls physical energy through an unconscious Phys, to heal their wounds and wake them up. Works for these minor injuries." Nick looked at the first years and remembered his own injuries. They didn't seem minor. Keith continued. "Just place the device on their chest and push a trickle of your physical energy into it. That will kickstart theirs, and in a second, bam, awake." He placed his device on Tiffany, and sure enough, the device flashed blue, and a few seconds later, she was sitting up, startled.

Nick did as he was told to one of the other two first years, while Keith healed the last one. Nick offered the boy a smile a smile as he woke, but it only lasted for a second. Everything rushed back to him, and he remembered he was the reason they had ended up like this.

"I'm sorry everyone." He stood and looked down at them. He had gotten them all injured. Hadn't he been training so he could protect people.

"Don't sweat the small stuff Nicky. It was my fault for acting tough. I knew we couldn't beat Rasha...but I didn't tell you the truth." Keith placed a hand on Nick's shoulder, comforting him. "On the plus side, I don't think she is going to bother you anymore." He turned back towards the arena, where Mark and the other first years were. Rasha was nowhere to be seen.

"We sent her back to the dorms to cool off, so I guess tryouts are done." He started walking towards Mark. "You all coming? We're going to announce who made the team." Keith winked at Nick, and then turned and walked away.

"I really am sorry guys." Nick felt terrible. Jared's words came back to him, and he knew he needed to make it right to the others.

"Don't worry about it Nick." Tiffany offered him a smile, and the other two nodded. "We couldn't hold off the others, so we kind of let you down too." Tiff paused, before continuing. "Besides, you tried to take on Rasha for us."

"Yeah Nick, don't sweat it, we're teammates." The first of the two boys smiled and gave him a thumbs up.

"Besides, at least you feel bad about it. We thought you didn't care about any of us." The second grinned and nodded towards Keith. "Now come on, I want to find out if I made the team."

"Alright!" Happiness welled up within Nick. He wasn't sure he deserved it, but he felt he could be friends with them.

"Here come the cheaters." Trent called out as they neared. "Heard your team had to cheat to keep Rasha from beating you to a..."

"Trent!" Keith stopped him. "I'll beat you to a pulp if you keep it up." Trent went white and disappeared back into the crowd of first years.

"Now then, tryouts got cut a little short this year due to...unforeseen circumstances." Mark laughed as he spoke, and Keith grinned. "But, we think we've seen enough to know who we want on the first-year team."

Everyone was silent. There were twelve of them, and only five would make it.

"First up, is Nick." There was murmuring amongst the first years, and Nick was certain Trent mumbled something under his breath. But, the warming touch of Tiff's hand on his shoulder, and her smile, made his anger fade.

"Next, Marcus King." Nick wasn't surprised, Marcus would do well in Scaterball. "Third, Trent." That made Nick's heart drop, he had no idea how he was going to work on the same team with Trent.

Nick felt Tiffany's grip tighten, and he touched her hand, offering her a smile. "You're better than Trent, I know you'll make it."

"Fourth, Jacob." Nick looked around and saw a thin first year smile. He had been on Trent's team, but Nick didn't get to see how he performed.

"It's alright." Tiffany's eyes were sad, and she lightly pushed Nick's hand off hers. "You guys did better than- "

"And finally, the beautiful Tiff!" Keith called out to the group, smiling from ear to ear at her. Nick saw her eyes moisten, and she wrapped Nick in a hug.

"I'm, I'm sorry." She quickly pushed herself off, blushing. "I'm just so happy."

"You deserve it!" Nick laughed and turned back to Keith, nodding to the fourth year.

"The rest of you can always come out and play when we aren't practicing, but sadly, you didn't make the team." Grumbling amongst the first years was evident, and Nick could see disappoint on their faces.

"Don't give me that. You all did your best, but a lesson you will learn here, is that sometimes your best isn't enough. Don't give up and keep pushing yourself. If you don't like the feeling of failure, get stronger, get better, and push for your goals." Mark smiled at the group. "You're all first years, you have so much more time to train, to improve."

The rest of the first years nodded, still disappointed, and started to walk away. Nick's grumbling stomach reminded him that it was dinner time.

"You guys want to grab dinner?" He smiled at Tiffany and the other two first years from his tryout team. He didn't know their names, but he figured it wouldn't hurt to get to know them.

"Sure." They nodded in agreement and started towards the exit.

"Hey Nicky, where you going?" Keith stopped him in his tracks.

"It's alright Nick, maybe another time." Nick saw a moment of sadness flash across Tiffany's eyes as she spoke before she turned away with the others.

"I was going to go eat dinner with them." Nick mumbled as Keith grabbed his shoulder. Mark was walking up as well.

"Ay, you were, but now you're going to come eat with Mark and I." Keith laughed, and started off. Nick just stared at the fourth year as he walked, for some reason, his emotions were in turmoil.

"Don't just stand their man, I'm sure Naomi is going to be excited to hear you made the team." That got Nick's attention. He could already see her smile. Nick loved making her smile. He looked one last time past Keith at Tiffany and the others as they walked away. He resolved to make it up them later, and then nodded towards Keith, and joined him and Mark as they headed to dinner.