Chapter 25

Chapter 25

If not for Dagr controlling their flight, Nick would have died in the next few moments. The black suits unleashed an onslaught of attacks Nick had never seen in any simulation before. Hundreds of energy beams, fired simultaneously, targeted all the DRAGOONs. Immediately after, they split into groups, targeting different DRAGOONs, some of who were standing to fight, and others who had disappeared.

"We need to move!" A pointless thought, as Dagr had already turned them away, funneling as much power as possible into the thrusters, trying to find an empty part of space. Nick tried to look for Keith and the others, but the further away they got, the fewer signs of life he saw. Correction, fewer signs of friendly life, as he had a group of enemy mobile suits on his tail.

They fired their strange energy weapons, and even though Dagr was able to dodge the beams, Nick could feel the heat from the weapons. What's more, they seemed to rip through the part of space they passed, and Nick feared a single hit from such a weapon would be the end.

"We need to fight." Nick hated running. He hated himself for the fear that filled him, and he wanted to prove himself to Keith and the fourth years.

Do you have a plan? I am a bit preoccupied dodging these attacks. They dropped suddenly, narrowly dodging another beam. In the simulations he was used to, his DRAGOON would be equipped with beam weapons of its own. However, he couldn't find a single weapon on his unit. The only other way of fighting he knew, was close combat.

I will do as you wish Nick, I can see your mind. He felt Dagr's consciousness draw closer, and he knew he could trust the dragon. Without warning, Dagr flipped them through the air, and they rushed the nearest mobile suit. The enemy mech drew a weapon from it's back, a black rod with a glowing blade at the end, unphased at their maneuver.

Nick didn't let the enemy's calm reaction slow them, and with fire coursing through his veins, they slammed into the enemy. Nick grabbed the enemy's weapon, clutching it firmly with both hands. At the same time, Dagr reversed their thrusters, using their moment to pull the enemy even closer. Nick slammed his knee into the mechs chest, driving a blade which protruded from his armor deep into its stomach. The red light faded from the enemy, and he let it drift off into space.

Well, that's one. How about the others? Dagr's question made Nick realize they were now surrounded. The units circled him, all having switched to their strange weapons, and Nick knew he wasn't going to make it out of this situation. If only he had a weapon.

You have me. Dagr sent confidence through their link, and opened their thrusters to full force, rocketing towards the next enemy. Even full of power, the enemies managed to match his speed. Dagr stopped them as the enemy slashed towards them, and Nick grabbed the weapon as it flew harmlessly past. Curling his hand into a fist, he pulled the weapon and mech towards him, and smashed his spikes into its head. As before, the lights faded, and he let it float away.

"That's two!" A beam of energy interrupted his celebration, and had Dagr not been with him, he would have died there.

There are still many left. Roughly a dozen enemies remained. Shall we?

"Lets" Somehow, they were going to make it through this fight.

"Do not do anything else reckless Nicholas. My sister has warned me you never know when you are outmatched." Even as the words faded, every single enemy around Nick simply disappeared.