Chapter 30

Chapter 30

As Nick and Becca walked into the dining facility, it was obvious lunch was a much busier time than breakfast. The tables were crowded, and students lined up waiting for their favorite options.

"Any preference?" Nick scanned the room, looking for familiar faces. He could see a lot of different physicals, but no fourth years.

"Something quick." Nick took her to the shortest line, and immediately regretted his choice. Judging from the smell, there was a reason it was this short.

They got their food, a strange creamy soup, and turned, looking for a table. There weren't any empty tables, but Becca started towards a table in the back. Only mystics sat around the table.

"Are you coming?" Becca stopped and looked at him, impatiently. It was surprising how little his sister had changed in the past six months.

"Yeah, sure." He wasn't sure how interacting with the mystics would go. In fact, he realized he hadn't really interacted with anyone outside of Keith and Naomi.

As he walked with Becca towards the mystic table, they passed a group of first year physicals, and Nick could feel their stares on him. Becca didn't miss their looks either.

"Well, you've certainly made friends." Sarcasm

"Eh, I don't need them." They were weak, and he had Keith, and Naomi.

"Aren't you supposed to be their leader?" Her question caused his train of thought to stop. As such, his mind was blank by the time they reached the mystics. The group of students all nodded and smiled at Becca, but gave Nick a disgusted look.

"Since when have you known a Phys?" The first one, a second year male, asked. Apparently, Mystics did not like Physicals.

"He's my brother, so be nice." They made room for the two of them at the table, and Nick sat down reluctantly.

"Did you get all the brains, and he the brawn?" Another crack. Nick was glad to see the cruel remarks weren't just a trait of the physicals. Seemed everyone liked to make fun of him. He could feel his blood starting to boil.

"Dave, she asked you to be nice." This time it was a first year, and something about her seemed familiar.

Nick stared at her, taking a bite of his food, which was indeed as bad as it smelled, and suddenly, he remembered. She was the girl who had asked to sit by him. He smiled at her, and couldn't help but notice she blushed.

"Thanks, uh." He had never gotten her name.

"Samantha, but you can call me Sam." She smiled at him, but then stopped as her eyes turned to Becca.

"You really have terrible taste Sam." Becca's comment made the rest of the table laugh.

"So, a physical eh? Why aren't you with your cliché?" Dave again.

"He doesn't really, fit in with them." Apparently Becca was going to be doing the talking for him.

"What, is he actually more than just a muscle bound show off?" Sheesh, physicals really had a bad reputation. It took everything he had not to throw his soup at Dave.

"I'm going to give you one more chance." Becca's voice was hard, threatening.

"You may be a prodigy Becca, but that doesn't mean I have to play nice with some Phys just because he's your brother." Dave stared at Nick, and smirked. Suddenly, the soup was all over Nick's face.

Becca started to stand, but Nick could tell she was still shaky. At the same time, Nick drew on his power. He was going to make Dave regret that choice. A strong hand on his shoulder held him down, keeping him from moving.

"I got this Nicky." Keith.

"So tell me, why would you go and do that to my buddy Nicky here?" Keith's voice drew everyone's attention at the table, and Nick let go of his power.

"This doesn't concern you." Dave was still rather full of himself.

"Oh, I believe it does. You see, Nicky here is my friend. And what you just did to him, well, I don't think I can forgive that." Keith's voice was dangerous. Dave simply smiled.

"You know the rules, Keith." Apparently Dave knew exactly who he was. "No physical violence against students from different classes at the school. You can't touch me." Nick had never heard that rule before, but that explained Dave's current attitude.

"Oh golly gee, how could I forget the Academy's rules?" Keith had something in mind, Nick could tell. "You're right, I can't pummel you within an inch of your life." Keith's hand began to warm against Nick's shoulder. "However, I can do this." He pointed a finger at Dave, and a wave of energy rolled outward from it. The trays on the table blasted towards Dave, covering him in various food items, and sending him tumbling out of his chair.

"Fun fact, since you were dumb enough to pick a fight with me." Keith disappeared and reappeared next to Dave, who was still on the floor. "If I extend my physical energy in a solid wave, I'm not using physical violence against you, so I'm not breaking the rules."

He turned and looked at the table. Every mystic was simply staring at him. "If you're done here Nick, I've got a spot for you with me and Naomi." He smiled and started walking, stopping only for a second beside Becca.

"You should try one of these, instead of that terrible food." He handed her an apple, winked, and started walking away.

"I'm sorry about all of that." Nick apologized as he looked at Sam. "I'll see you later Becca." His sister nodded, as she starred down at Dave. Nick really hoped she would forgive him for that. Though, Dave had been the one to start it.

"Those are really good." He motioned toward the apple, smiled, and turned away, looking for where Keith had disappeared. Nick was curious how much more excitement one day could hold.