Chapter Three

I carefully observed the water flowing in front of me. I was seated in a chair, watching a river. A river. I know. It sounded funny, but being there calmed me. Maybe it wasn't too bad that my father had brought me here. And after the events of the day, I was happy to be there. I thought over everything that had happened.

"A makeover." She repeated. I was outraged.

"Why?" I yelled again.

"Come on Adriana. Don't you want to be pretty?" Another girl said. "I'm Danielle, by the way. And this is Louise." She pointed to the other girl who had spoken.

"Well, Danielle. I don't need a makeover." I narrowed my eyes at her. "My mom said that I'm beautiful the way I am." I knew it sounded lame, but it was all I could think of.

"Why, is she blind?" She retorted. I rolled my eyes.

"Not funny." I said.

"Oh, but it is." She laughed, and all the other girls giggled with her.

"Well, we're going to leave you with Danielle and Louise here, and the rest of us are all gonna hang out." Monica said, and all the girls followed her laughing.

"So, let's get this over with." Louise said after they had left, suddenly sounding bored. She yawned.

"Don't you guys mind?'" I asked them, feeling bewildered. "They're all going to hang out, and you're stuck here giving me a makeover."

"Of course we do!" Danielle said. "They just use us for things they need done. Trust me, we've been through what you've been through. I guess they just like to choose a few friends to use as their personal servants."

"Yea, you might want to leave while you can." Louise added.

"Really?" I said, feeling shocked. How could they do that? "So Monica is like the queen bee. Then she finds some lame girls to be her servants and chooses some people she likes to be part of her group?" Oh wait I had just called them lane. Oops.

"Sort of." Danielle said. "I don't think she even likes them. They just looked like a threat to her because they were pretty, so she decided to add them to her group. It's disgusting really."

"Wow." I said. Why would she want that?

"Yea." They both said at the same time.

"So what should I do? I've been going through a lot lately and a lot of it doesn't even have to do with them." I said.

"Really? Like what?" Louise said.

"Well, for starters, I just moved here, leaving my friends behind so I barely know anyone. And on top of that, I've met so many people here, that I don't even know who to trust." I said, literally spilling everything out as I had done for Heather the past night.

"Wow. So, who have you met?" Danielle said.

"Do you guys know Nancy?" I asked.

"Nancy Marshall? Sure, Monica talks about her all the time. Of course, they're never good things." Louise said.

"Wow, she seemed pretty nice to me. Nancy, I mean. " I said. "You guys know Nate? And Oliver?" The girls exchanged looks.

"Yea, we know them." Danielle said. "Everyone knows them, since they're.. Different."

"What do you mean?" I sounded confused.

"You don't know? Well-" Louise started but Danielle cut her off.