Her Mentor Part 9

Start from the beginning

"Beyoncé is pretty down to earth about these things, so I wouldn't worry. Plus, you're obviously an intern so she's not expecting you to choose something like Mr. Chow."

Princeton was nodding but he had his own opinion. "It's sweet how considerate you are about all of this when Beyoncé is obviously the one who's paying." He laughed while Yara and Tammy spoke amongst themselves in agreement.

"Okay, well, it was nice chatting, see you guys later and have fun at the lunch," Tammy excused herself, going about her way.

"Yeah, I better get to my desk, too," Yara said before waving at Princeton and Normani. "Remember to keep me posted about lunch. No rush."

"I definitely will, see you later," Normani said, watching Yara walk away. She then looked at Princeton who was looking at her expectantly. "I was thinking Popeyes," she admitted in a quieter tone.

Princeton laughed jovially. "Go for it."

"Really?'

"Of course. It's a power move." He laughed again, seeing the hesitance in the intern. But Normani still trusted his judgement. "If you're that worried, check in with her. But I would keep it a surprise."

Normani sighed and smiled. "Okay." She knew the ball was in her court.

***

Beyoncé looked at the famous warm orange, red, and white colors that designed the Popeyes restaurant and laughed.

Fortunately for Normani, it wasn't an offensive you-can't-be-serious kind of laugh. It was one of those you-are-adorable laughs.

The 23-year-old watched the light-caramel complexioned woman smile brightly.

"Aw, Mani, you did good, you did good," she said in approval.

Normani inwardly exhaled. But on the outside she grinned. "Didn't I tell you?" She held the door open for her idol and then walked in behind her. They both looked at the menu even though both already knew what they wanted.

People eyeballed them but they were used to it, especially Beyoncé who was the famous of the two.

Normani watched Beyoncé graciously take pictures with people but the manager soon stepped in so she could enjoy her stay there as a normal human being.

Then they were led to a nicely furnished table on the upper floor. Normani took in how beautiful Beyoncé looked. She had on this bohemian styled dress, her skin was glowing, and her lips were painted a dark red.

"You look beautiful," Beyoncé commented.

It was as if she was reading Normani's mind. "Wow, thank you."

"Why do you say it like that?"

"Like what?"

"Like you're shocked..."

Normani let out a girlish laugh. "'Cause I am! You said it as I was thinking it about you."

"Oh," Beyoncé laughed now too. "I was about to say...you should never be shocked about that." She ate a French Frye. "And thank you for your compliment." She smiled with light modesty.

Normani mentally gave herself props for wearing this black dress with white and gray thin stripes. She always made a point to look good. She knew the way you dressed and presented yourself was like an advertisement. As messed up as it was, people did judge you based on these things.

"You know you always look good," Normani smirked, playing it off with an eye roll. She took a careful bite of her chicken leg. "So, how am I doing so far? In the internship?" she eyed her curiously.