Her Mentor Part 3

Normani would say her first few days at Parkwood had been successful. She liked Beyoncé's team, who contributed to a great work culture and Beyoncé had been right: this internship had movement. Normani wasn't glued to her desk. She attended meetings and assisted with as many projects as possible, whether it was a client's photo shoot, music video, press, or meeting.

"Normani, you ready?"

She looked up from one of the few magazines neatly spread out on her desk to see Princeton. Princeton Perez was one of Beyoncé's assistants.

"Don't tell me you were about to stand me up," he said, noticing she was still visibly busy.

Normani smiled. "Naw, I would never stand up anyone. I need to take a break from this anyway."

"What were you working on?"

"Trying to think of some ideas for Chloe and Halle's next campaign. Was looking for some inspiration."

Princeton smiled his perfect smile.

"What?" Normani laughed some and stood up to put on her blazer over her cream colored dress.

"Nothing, you just...you're a good fit here, Normani," he admitted. "I don't like to talk bad about people but that other intern...no ma'am." He shook his head with a serious look.

The two soon made their way to the elevator bank and proceeded to their destination. It was Princeton's idea for them to grab dinner since they had both stayed late again.

"Was the other intern that bad?" Normani queried as they strolled.

Princeton breathed in as he considered the question. "You know how some people nail that interview and then show their true colors after a couple weeks on the job?" Normani nodded. "That was her. Plus it was obvious she wanted to be besties with Beyoncé, and that's a no-no."

They continued their conversation in this Mexican restaurant.

"Wow, was she acting like a groupie?" Normani asked Princeton.

"It was obvious that she was a Beyoncé fan—aren't we all--but she didn't want to do the work. She didn't show interest in our clients and even though I love my job, I will tell anyone there's an unglamorous side to it. And I guess Miss Shaniya just thought her looks was enough to carry her: Work ethic, who cares? Look at me, I'm cute."

"Mmm, that's a mess," Normani commented, shaking her head. She also tried not to laugh at Princeton's personality.

"Beyoncé might like pretty, but you gotta have more than that," Princeton said and laughed his loud laugh.

"Oh, I'm sure. If you could give me any piece of advice for working here, what would it be?"

"Definitely don't pry into her personal life, that's crucial," he answered immediately. "And then..." he twisted his mouth to the side as he carefully considered the rest of his response. "Oh, please don't come onto Beyoncé." He frowned and then laughed again. "So many of these interns think they're slick and it's gotten them nowhere but out the door."

"I would never," Normani said, chuckling and furrowing her brows. "Plus she's married." She sipped her lemonade.

Princeton just smiled. "Okay."

Normani didn't like that response. It was like Princeton didn't really believe her. "That's not me. One, I'm not a homewrecker and two, I'm not interested in shitting where I eat."

Princeton drew his shoulders back before leaning forward again. "Mami, mami, I didn't mean to offend you. I was just saying...you'd be surprised at what you think you know."