6th Lie

"Allie, ano ba yun? May sasabihin ka ba?"

"Tsk," I want to raise my eyebrow pero nagpasalamat ako na hindi ako na hindi maikli ang pasensya ko. "I'll go straight to the point, Anya. Do you like Simon?"

"No, I don't. Why?"

"Eh ano yung nakita ko kahapon? Ang lapit ng mukha nyo sa isa't isa that I thought you're kissing him!"

"I'm quite offended, Allie. I know how much you like that boy. Hindi ako kiss-maniac, Allie. I won't do that to someone you clearly like. I'm offended of how lightly you thought of the friendship I tried to build with you. Is that boy worth it for doubting me?"

"Teka lang, Anya--" I turned my back on her and walk away. It's never easy to have a normal reaction. I must pretend that I'm offended so she can come to her senses.

"You flirt with the boy your friend likes and yet you accused her for doubting your friendship. You did well for turning the table." Huminto ako ng marinig ko ang pamilyar na boses nya. It turned out he's listening for quite some time now.

"Is it because I call you with an endearment, sweet?" his lips pressed firmly as I grinned. "I'm just teasing you and you know that very well. Sabi mo nga, how can I flirt with this kind of plain face? I wouldn't dare." Silence filled the air for a couple of seconds. "Don't look at me that way. Your eyes are piercing into my soul. Just like that annoying thing."

"Thing?"

I was about to leave when I felt his tight grip on my wrist. He's now pulling me or more like he's dragging me. Hanggang sa makalabas na kami ng gate ng school, hindi nya parin binibitawan ang kamay ko. As soon as we passed the gate, parang on instinct I suddenly felt lifeless, oblivious and I don't mind wherever he takes me. After a while, he stopped walking and so do I.

"What happened to you? You look strange." Nasalubong ko ang mga mata nya na puno ng tanong. I became confused and have this urge of grabbing a mirror just so I can look at myself. "I'm sorry, okay? I didn't mean to say all those things earlier." I looked around. Nasa may sidewalk kami kung saan maraming taong naglalakad. Maraming sasakyan na mabibilis ang takbo. Everything seems busy and lost in their own world. "Anya," he shook my shoulders. This time, hindi ko alam kung tama ba ang nakikita ko sa mata nya. Why do you look worried, Simon?

"I'm going home." I removed his hands and push him to the side so I can go but I feel strangely tired that my legs can no longer support me. I wobble and heard the loud sound of the car honk behind me.

"Careful!" His agitated voice and his warm hand that's wrapped around me, brought me back to my senses. He's staring at me. His face is too close.

"I just found one of your good points."

"Huh?"

I removed his hand away from me and stand straight. "I'm afraid that if it reaches to ten, I might like you for real. I don't want to exchange my peaceful year to someone temporary like you."

"Can't you consider me as a long term?"

"Why?"

"I don't know. I guess until I find out the real you, I can never stop."

"I don't like you around me. I don't need someone as nosy as you. I'm not capable of looking out for a person who's too fixated on a very stupid goal."

"If it's you, I don't think it's a stupid goal, Anya."

* * *

I am a very mysterious girl. No one knows what's running in my mind. Even my so-called friends have no idea. I am loyal, I can assure everyone that. Though I cannot promise I can be a very good friend from start to end because the word good or correct in my vocabulary might mean different to them.

"Good morning, Anya." Mia greeted me in half awkward, half cheerful manner. I caught her stealing glances towards Allie sitting beside her. I greeted them back.

"G-Good morning, Anya." She stammered and can't look directly into my eyes. "Uhm, y-yung kahapon--"

"It's okay," I smiled. "By the way, I got so lucky and won two movie tickets. You can have it. Hindi naman ako mahilig manood ng movie. Why don't you try asking him to go with you this weekend?"

"Eh? T-This movie? Pero diba ayaw mo sa kanya? I mean na magustuhan ko?"

"Mukhang di ka na papaawat so why don't you give it a shot? Wala namang mawawala sayo kung susubukan mo."

"Thank you, Anya! I'll do my best to win his heart!"

Napangiti na lang ako habang sinusundan ng tingin si Allie na masayang lumabas ng room. My kind of good might not be too good for you, Allie. The sooner you get rejected, the faster you can get over him.

"Yo," bumungad sakin ang nakangiting mukha ni Archer na kasalukuyang umuupo na sa upuan na nasa harap ko. Hindi ko napansin na nakalapit na pala sya. Sana lang hindi nya nakita ang kung ano mang expression na meron ako kanina. Pinatong nya ang braso sa sandalan saka ako tinitigan. "I'm right, maganda ka nga Anya."

"Sira! So anong meron at ang aga aga mong nagpapacute?" ang lakas naman ng pinakawalan nyang tawa.

"I want to be friends with you." I answered okay right away. "You're very straightforward. I like that side of you."

"Then, kung sakali bang yung kaibigan mo ay hindi pala ko gaya ng inaakala mo, will you be disappointed?"

"Hmm, good question. As expected from our top student."

"I'd like to hear the answer of a top student too."

"I will be straight with you as well. If one day, I'll have the chance to see that side of you, I'm willing to let go of all the sands in my hand so I can be there watching you grow."

"I'll give you 9 points for your creative writing class, Mr. Class Rep." I chuckled while giving him a clap and he laughs harder.

"Ang daya. Bakit naman 9 points lang? Ano ba dapat ang sagot para makakuha ako ng perfect score?"

"Hmm, let's try rewriting your answer. If one day, I'll have the chance to see that side of her, I'm willing to drop everything I have just to be there beside her, helping her grow until she can stand on her own two feet again."

Archer seemed pleased with the answer he heard and smile back at me. "I don't think I can hand over the class rep position to Simon easily."

"Akala ko ba may usapan na kayo? Mas mukha ka pa ngang masaya kesa sa kanya dahil sa deal nyo. What made you change your mind?"

"I don't want to exchange my opportunity to know you better than our rekindled friendship."

"Rekindled? Hindi ba transferee din sya?"

"Simon is my best friend--or rather used to be my best friend. He disappeared, then get back to this boring countryside and acted as if he doesn't know me. Bakit ako lang ang mag-eeffort diba?" saka sya tumawa ng malakas.

"Archer, it's fine. Ako lang naman to. No need to pretend you don't care in front of a friend." I smiled and he stopped laughing. It's enough to have one pretentious person. I like him better when he's flashy yet thoughtful.