Also, Harvard.

I suddenly heard a noise coming from Sarah's room. Strange, since it was past midnight. I decided to go check on her. But when I got to her room, no one was there. Instead, the window was completely open. At first I got scared, of course. I ran to the window with my lungs on my throat, what I saw down in the front-yard really surprised me.

It was James. And my sister.

James. The quarterback.

Sneaking out in the middle of the night like little kids, holding hands and laughing silently. I shook my head while I smiled. Who would've said my nerdy little sister would end up with the most popular guy at school.

I walked back to my room, I saw my phone on my bed. The screen was on, someone was calling. I ran to the bed and answered it, it was Scott.

"Hey." I muttered breathlessly.

"Your sister left your house," he informed me.

"I know. She's got a date," I said.

He laughed ironically, "Really?"

"I know, I know... but hey, they're in love. Or at least it looks like it. At least they know how to be happy."

"You mean I don't?"

"It's not like that Scott. But it looks like you're tearing everything that makes you happy away." I mumbled, scared of his answer.

"You think I wanted my parents to get kidnapped? You think I wanted to break Lisa's heart?"

I closed my eyes, regretting my words.

"Look. I can't do this right now. It's late, you're spying on my family. Go to sleep, Scott."

"I would, but I'm not at home."

"Then go home!" I whispered intending a yell. 

"Come with me."

"What? Are you insane?"

"I'm just a couple blocks away, I'll come pick you up."

I rolled my eyes. "Why should I go with you? Scott, this is stupid. Just hang up."

"It's not. Your little sister sneaked out, what are you still doing at home?"

"But... It's a school night." I argued.

He laughed. "Come on, Mel. Just tonight. For me."

"What if my parents find out?"

"Just tell them you woke up earlier to go study with Gina and Hunter or something," He tried to convince me.

"Who even does that?"

"You do! I'm pulling into your street, come on!"

"I'm on my pajamas! It's not a good idea."

"I don't want to spend another night alone. Please." He insisted.

"Your guards will see us."

"It's cool. They don't mind." He said.

I sighed. "Okay, hold up. I'll be there in five."

"Wait!" He exclaimed just when I was about to hang up. "Bring your swimsuit."

I furrowed my eyebrows. "Why would I —"

But he had already hung up.

I found myself sitting in the middle of my dark room, about to spend the night alone out with a guys. This ought to be interesting.

I slipped into my fluffy slippers and put on an —notoriously oversized— sweatshirt. I grabbed my swimsuit and climbed out of my sister's window, jumping onto the garage's ceiling and then to the front-yard's grass.

"You owe me." I said as I got in the car.

He smiled cheekily at me. "It means the world, Mel. I'm sorry I fucked up our date. Rain check?"

"This is the rain check. Seize it."