When The Day Met The Night

Vic's P.O.V.

By the second week of school I knew damn well that Mike's friends were talking about me behind my back. They said it in loud enough whispers, knowing I could hear them. They acted as if I wasn't even there. I was used to this, but it still hurt. It was same old, same old. "Emo", "Freak", "Weirdo".

Kellin's bullying got worse. I usually packed my bag slowly and was one of the last people out of the class. The kids in the back would always shove Kellin around the hallways after class.

I wanted to do something, I really did. I know what it's like to feel burned out, and I didn't want him to feel that too.

I asked Mama what to do the other night.

"Well, you would just have to stand up for him. Tell the bullies to stop. Or you could tell the teacher." She said as she washed the dishes.

Neither of those would work though.

"If I tell them to stop, they'll just bully me. If I tell the teacher, they'll beat me up. Either way I lose." I replied with a sigh.

"How badly do you want to want to help this boy?" Mama turned to me.

"I don't know, I just don't want him to keep getting bullied everyday."

"Then I'm afraid, chico, you have to do what's right." I knew she was right, but would it even be worth it? It was selfish of me, but I hated to feel that way. I couldn't imagine how he felt.

Eventually I decided I was going to stand up for him. I would practice talking in front of my mirror every night.

"Stop picking on him."

"What did he do to you?"

"If you're going to pick on somebody, pick on me." That one burned in my throat every time I said it. I don't know where it came from, I wasn't the person to say that.

I had to do it. But I didn't know how. I could barely speak to my teachers. I needed to gain the confidence and take the weight off my shoulders. I asked Mike for help. He offered to do it for me, but I refused. I wanted to do this myself. He pretended to be the bully and even when I tried it with Mike, my own brother, I got nervous. My hands shook furiously. I was a failure.

****************************

It was Wednesday and second period started. I sat next to Kellin as I did everyday. Not long after the period started, it began.

"Pst, Quinn."

"Kellin Faggot." I was shocked at that one. They never did that before. As always they laughed. This time I was going to do it. It had to be now. My hands shook at the thought and instantly got clammy.

"Faggot, turn the fuck around." I looked at Kellin. His hands were grasped in his hair as he looked down at the open textbook in front of him. He was scared, I could understand why.

A pencil flew, but it missed.

Now Vic. Now. C'mon you practiced this. It's worth it.

Another pencil, this time it hit his back. I turned around.

"Stop picking on him," the words fell out of my mouth. I was fine until they started staring at me.

"What'd you say?"

"S-stop," I stuttered out. From the corner of my eye, I saw Kellin look at me, completely and utterly flabbergasted. The bullies said nothing. For a moment.

"VIC, WHAT THE FUCK? Stop picking on Kellin!" My jaw dropped. The whole room went silent. The teacher, Mr. Thorne, turned around from the chalkboard.