4.3 | Puppet Queen

"That was the twelfth!"

Azure stepped away from me, "Yes, but if you don't calm down, you might set fire to this place. So, please."

I groaned.

"Yes, it sucks. Yes, everyone hates us. But, you fancy going out for a walk? Somewhere more fire-resistant perhaps?"

"I am fine," I grumbled.

"Sure," he said, opening the door out of our lodge, "This way. Come on."

I huffed, but I followed him.

"I wish I knew why they behave like that!" I said to the back of his wings, "Initially, they are reluctant to hire me, but then even they agree that I make for a good employee. All of that, however, goes away the first thing a customer accuses me. It is not even funny anymore. Today, I was 'too fairy to tolerate'."

Azure let us in the bistro on the ground floor and picked a table by on of the bay-windows and smiled at the female elf who worked that shift before replying to me. "Whatever the reason, you still got fired and now, we have to fix it."

The elf came over and placed a chocolate covered waffle before him, without him having to ask. I scowled at them. Azure gave her his cheekiest grin and said in a voice much different than the one he had been using with me, "Hello, sunshine."

She blushed and looked at me, "What would Miss Summer like?"

"It's Magenta," I snapped just as Azure said, "No, Leandra, she is not a Summer."

"Oh," she looked between us, confused, "But, isn't that —"

Azure grinned again, this time with his fingers tracing the rim of her yellow apron, "Don't worry, Leandra. I will tell you all about my sister later."

She smiled, "Alright... Azure." With a twirl, she walked away.

"She didn't take my order," I announced.

Azure was still looking at her.

"Oh, my seasons! You are impossible!" I said.

He looked at me, his voice back to normal, "What? I am doing really well if you haven't noticed. I deserve my free time."

"Exactly," I mumbled, helping myself to his waffle, "It beats me how you, of all creatures, managed to keep your job in a place like this."

"Me of all? — hey, now that is uncalled for," he rebuked me gently and pushed his plate towards me.

I should have apologised, but I chose to be engrossed in his offering. After a while, I just shrugged at him, "You know that is true."

Azure grinned, "Yeah, it is." He dipped a finger in the syrupy chocolate. It was a Sapiean food we hadn't known of before and it was ridiculously addictive. Azure had a tendency to forget all table etiquettes when served with some — like now.