C H A P T E R 2 5_

Start from the beginning

"Be careful," she lifts her brows.

"I always am," I smile and leave her after placing a kiss in her head.

I walk to the room that basically serves as a headquarters for all security in the building. We had to wipe all fingerprints, retinal scans, facial recognition, and other stored data for agents. Since we don't know which ones are Hydra, we can't afford to let a Trojan Horse slip through our net. For now we only let in those we know.

I click on the com that connects to the door inside. "Who are you and how did you get past security for the garage?" I demand.

There is a pause... And then a voice I wasn't expecting to hear says, "And here I was thinking you'd recognize my voice."

My heart immediately is relieved and I think my expression shows that. I smile and let the door open before rushing down to where they are.

Nat walks in with Banner at her side and she gives me a hug as soon as our eyes meet.

We hold tightly to one another, both relieved we made it this far. You honestly don't realize how much you cherish the people in your lives until times like this when you think they could be dead. When we part I breathe. "You look like shit," I joke but just happy they are okay.

"You look too clean," she says back. She is dressed in black skinny jeans and a grey zip up hoodie. And Bruce is in a t-shirt and jacket as well.

I'm not wearing my gear anymore either, just a long sleeve black shirt and pants, the sleeves pulled almost to my elbows

I'm not wearing my gear anymore either, just a long sleeve black shirt and pants, the sleeves pulled almost to my elbows. But I still keep a gun handy on my person.

"Thor, Stark, and Quicksilver are here but have you heard from the others?" I ask.

"They're on their way. They're alive," she answers.

"Seems like you made good use of the base..." Banner says when we step in further.

"S.H.I.E.L.D. has dissolved. Every agent has scattered even Hydra. All of them only caring about their own loved ones right now... And with the leaders all dead there isn't much to bring them together. We can't really trust anyone right now."

"Well our allies may have scattered but Hydra intercepted us on the way here... They're still around," Natasha says to me.

"Well we will have to keep on our toes I guess..." I sigh.

"They're using the apocalypse as leverage to kill us," Bruce says. "With all of this going on they know they can do it."