chapter 16

I've told Luke about his old master, Obi-wan Kenobi

I've told Luke about his old master, Obi-wan Kenobi. How he spoke to me at the edge of the island. What he had shown me.

"He felt so real... So- alive... As if he was always there to begin with."

Luke looks to me thoughtfully, as if to truly understand the importance of me seeing his former master.

"Master... I believe Obi-wan was giving me guidance. Some clue that could start me on my path to becoming a Jedi."

I look to Luke as he stares into the flames of the fire. The twin suns setting before us. He gives it a few pokes with a stick before feeding it to the inferno.

"I suppose it's time... The bird eventually needs to learn how to fly, leaving the nest behind... You are ready Jude, more ready then I ever was."

He pulls out a book from under his cloak, then he blows out the remaining dust from between the pages.

"Except for the flying part, now's the best time to actually read this one."

I look to the all familiar cover, 'Flyers Guide to the Galaxy'. I groan at the sight of it, I remember browsing this one when Luke was teaching me how to read. The first chapter nearly put me to sleep before I tossed it aside. Can't the ship just do auto-pilot or something.

"Don't give me that look Jude, you have to at least have basic knowledge on how to fly. The force does all the rest."

"Wait, the force can help you fly too?!"

Luke gets up and places the hefty text on my lap as he begins to return to his hut.

"It guides you Jude, remember that. And it can't do that when you don't even know how to start let alone get off the ground."

I pout in Luke's direction as he walks away. I stare back at the odd flying book that I all so dread reading. For Ben and Rey...

·~·~·~·

"Wake up, kid! It's flying time!"

Ugh, I hear a metal clanking on the side of my stone hut, waking me up the least peaceful way possible. As I sit up I feel the shift of something heavy as it falls to the ground. I wipe my sleep deprived eyes, to view the haunting book strewn on the ground. I really spent all night with that thing, I don't want to waste another second looking at it. I used the force to slide it across the ground till it was out of sight and out of mind. Now getting ready to face the day with Luke and flying...

"What took you so long, I thought I was the old man here."

I brush my fingers through some of the knots in my hair as Luke leads me to the front of his hut.