chapter 18

They handcuffed me of course, not that I blame them

They handcuffed me of course, not that I blame them. I did scrape across this planet and released everything in my stomach on it. Not the very grand first impression I was hoping for. But what did I expect, Luke Skywalker didn't come with me. I'm not the Jedi they were hoping for. Nevertheless, they walk me through grassy hills and meadows, abandoning the wreckage of Luke's X-Wing. One of the many men carried my bag, another Luke's lightsaber, as the rest lead me along.

We finally reach a set of hills that hid sounds of bustling people. Turning the corner of one is when I see it. People everywhere... Their faces revealed compared to my masked captors. Genuine people... I stand awestruck as they nudge me along, pushing me deeper. The hills are split in two creating the most hidden base as they had dug into the planets pastures. Other ships and species litter the runway as some turn to stare.

Definitely the worst impression. As the guards shuffle me closer and closer into one of the hallowed out hills. Others had better things to do than stare at the invader, but many made their curiosity known. I sweat a little more than before, this time my nervousness potentially leading to more nausea. As I feel like I'm going to be sick. So many people... So many stares...

We finally reach a more tech-heavy area as some of the men leading split off. The main one guiding me rushes me toward a chair as they shove me to sit. Looking around I remember the room. Leia was here when I was in the vision with Luke, she stared longingly at this very console. That time seems so long ago as it was when I started my training to become a Jedi. The console is empty of an image as a group of people stare at me from across the way. They get handed my bag and Luke's lightsaber as the masked guard speaks in an unintelligible language. Assuming they understood the guard walks away leaving me waiting to hear my fate.

"Skywalker's ship... Skywalker's weapon. What else have you stole? What is your reasoning for crash landing on a top secret Resistance base?!"

I flinch at the man's tone. I mean, I've been yelled at before by Luke and Ben, but I know them. This man... his words strike me more harshly. This is so much more terrififying than I thought it was going to be.

"I-I can explain..."

The man leans in more closely now as his other comrades take closer steps toward the console.

"-to General Organa. I need to see Leia."

Disappointed with my commitment to see Leia, the main man starts to pace. Scratching the stubble he brandishes as he looks me over again, clearly annoyed.

"Do you have any idea the situation you're in. You have no right to start making demands, no outsider can just 'see' General Organa."

He comes closer to my chair in a more threatening manner.

"You have seen the inner workings of a Resistance base, discovered our location on this planet, almost gave it away with the crash stunt you pulled. The only reason you are alive is because what you came in was Luke Skywalker's. So if you don't start talking now-"

He scrunched his face deep in thought as he points Luke's lightsaber accusingly at me. I start to feel a bit angry too as he holds that sacred weapon so invasively.

"Major Brance..."

I look towards the voice and my emotions then shift to one of pure joy and awe. Leia... She's really here. I get up almost reactively as I am then shoved down again by two guards. Their grip on me tight as if a lesson to not try it again. But she's here, and all I want to do is run up to her and tell her everything.

"General Organa, I thought you would still be in the meeting with Commander Dameron."

She walks closer and begins to bring up files from the central console. I watch as she scrolls through the many brilliant blue slides.

"I was... until I heard someone crash landed in my brother's ship."

She gazes at me for a moment then turns to 'Major Brance'.

"I figured this was more important. So who's our guest? And any idea why she made such a grand entrance?"

She pulls up aerial images of the crash site. Looks even worse from up top as you can see the definite gash in the planet. The ship looking in terrible condition.

"Well, you got what you wanted. Aren't you going to explain yourself?"

Major Brance gestures me to speak and I sit their dumbfounded. My mouth hanging agape as I think of what to say without sounding like a bubbling idiot. She looks upon me gracefully as my mouth starts to hang open.

"Luke... He..."

The room starts to slow down as I try to formulate the words of how I got here. The bustling people around change pace to make out a piece of my story.

"Luke led me here, to find you. He told me that Leia would be the one to believe me... even if no one else does. The lightsaber was supposed to be proof just in case they didn't let me see you."

Looking at me longingly Leia motions Major Brance to hand her Luke's lightsaber. Sighing she takes in its cylinder features as it is indeed Luke's. Twirling it in her hands she finally clutches it close as she walks to stand in front of me.

"What's your name?"

"Jude."

"Then Jude, I do believe you. I believe that Luke did send you, and it gives me hope knowing that he is still out there thinking of me... But where is he..?"

The question I had dreaded to answer, for he told me not to tell. It breaks my heart to give her nothing.

"He's not ready... He still having a hard time thinking about what happened with Ben..."

She looks saddened by my words, the mention of Ben and not seeing Luke struck her deeply.

"But that's why I'm here, I want to help. I want to help you save him."

Regaining her composure, she leans forward and unlocks the heavy cuffs from around my wrists. In turn she places Luke's lightsaber into my hands, cupping them into her own.

"Well Jude, you might want to keep this if you're joining the Resistance."