Vunerabulity

This one is shorter than the others
     Vulnerability- something we all have. Yet, something we are afraid to show.

*****************************************

     Malinda smiled as she exited the car and watched as Jayce did the same. Jayce was her 'lil friend' as her mother called him and she was happy.
     Watching him lean against the door of his car, Malinda took in his features. He was tall, with a nice build. His light brown skin seemed to glow under the moonlight that greeted them.
     He watched as she stood before him, with a small smirk on her face. Her chocolate skin was glowing as it always did and her five foot frame compared to his six foot one.
     "Come ere'" Jayce motioned to Malinda. Following his command, Jayce engulfed Malinda in a big bear hug, causing Malinda to laugh.
     "What's funny?" Jayce spoke.
     "You. That was a deep hug." Malinda replied. Jayce smiled, showing off his deep dimples and pearly white teeth.
     "So um, why did you wanna meet out here?" Malinda asked.
     Jayce looked at her. He had wanted them to meet at their favorite spot- Lakewood Park. They had been going there to talk just ever since they had met- and that was six months ago. Talking was all they did- and both of them enjoyed it.
     Jayce shrugged. "I just wanted to talk to you. And discuss something important."
     The pair let their feet guide them on to  the walking path that they knew by heart. If the stones and trees that surrounded the path could talk- they would tell of deep conversations.
      "So what's up?" Malinda asked as she looked at the familiar pink azalea flowers that she passed.
     "You and me. That's what's up." Jayce spoke that caused Malinda's heart to race.
     "What about us?"
     Jayce stopped just before they came to the big oak tree  where they had carved their initials on. "Remember what I asked you last time?"
     Malinda bit her lip before looking at him. She knew exactly where he was going. Apart of her wanted him to go on, but the part in her no one saw didn't. "How could I forget." She found herself saying.
     "Malinda, I like you. A lot. And I wanna be with you. Not on some play play stuff, but on something real. Foreal." Jayce expressed himself, something he wasn't that good at doing.
     He had always had strong feelings for Malinda- ever since they'd met. And she had always felt the same too.
     "I know, Jay."Malinda spoke. "I know."
     "And I haven't made it a secret either. I've shown you Malinda and I know you want the same. But, baby just give me the answer. Why don't you wanna be with me?"
     "Jayce I never I said I didn't."
     "You didn't have too. Your actions show."
     Malinda arched her eyebrow. "Actions? What actions?"
     "You always shy away from that topic. You always wanna change the subject. And I'm about to be real with you. I want you, but I don't wanna stay around if you don't want the same. I can't just be friends with you—not  with these feelings, Malinda."
     Malinda took his words in and bit her lip looking down. She knew that it was now or never. And she had to act fast. 
     "Jay." Malinda began. "I like you too, ok? I wanna be with you too. But- I'm scared." She confessed. 
     Jayce arched his eyebrow. "Scared? Scared of what?"
     "I'm scared of getting hurt. Jayce I've been there before and I don't wanna don't go back. I'm afraid you're gonna boost up my head with all these lies and say you love me and then one day leave." Malinda expressed. She let the tears fall as she released her deepest feelings. "And then look at you and me. You're the star football player and everyone likes you. I'm just the nerdy girl who likes to read poetry and what not. Like, I don't wanna make you look bad-"
     Jayce cut Malinda off with a kiss. She kissed him back and when he pulled away she was at a loss of words.
     "Malinda Grace Robinson." Jayce spoke calling her by her full name. "I like you way to much to not be real with you. So let me be real right now. I don't wanna hurt you. I only wanna be yours- and you be mine. I only wanna see you smile that pretty smile of yours. I only wanna be with you. I wanna be with you and your cute, Langston Hughes loving, church girl self." Jayce spoke honestly. All he wanted to do was to please her.
     Hearing those words, Malinda laughed as she wiped her face.
     "I can't believe I'm letting you see me cry." Malinda spoke.
     Jayce grabbed her hands. "You showed your vulnerability. And ain't nothing wrong with that." He kissed her forehead. "But since we just had this talk, you know I gotta ask you one last time."
     "Don't." Malinda stopped him. "Yes, I'll be yours."
     Jayce intetwined their hands and smiled. "Foreal?"
     "Foreal." Malinda spoke. Jayce kissed her lips and the pair walked back to their cars.
     Both were happy that they had finally showed their vulnerability.

*************************************
      Malinda reminds me of me to be honest. But hey, everyone has their vulnerable side.

With love,
Malaysia