Impressions of the Heart (II)

Jeremy stormed back into the restaurant. Most of his family was still there and the atmosphere has grown cold and Jeremy swore that he could freeze water there.
        Heads turned as he stalked towards his grandmother. He looked at her and couldn't believe that this was the woman he adored. And yet it was. With her traditional red nail polish and copper skin, she didn't look like she was in her early 70's. Yet the scowl on her face betrayed her age as she stared at her grandson.
        "Grandma- what was that?" Jeremy asked.
        His grandmother sipped her drink before looking up at him. "Baby that was me protecting you-"
        "Protecting me from what?!" Jeremy boomed. He had never been this harsh with his grandmother. But this time he couldn't help the emotions that flooded him.
        "From a skank like her." His grandmother sneered. "You have to see that she only wants you for your accomplishments."
        Before Jeremy could reply, he heard the rough voice of his mother speak.
        "Mama quit tripping. Jeremy is old enough to make his own choices. She's a nice girl."
        Jeremy watched his grandmother narrow her eyes at her child.
        "Jennifer please. You of all people can't tell me anything about what Jeremy needs. You didn't-"
        A laugh came from Jennifer. "Oh mama please. I already know what you're gonna say," Jennifer said while eating a breadstick. "All you were gonna say is - 'how can you tell me how to take care of him when you didn't even raise him'. Well news flash, mama, everyone in here knows I was strung out. It's not new. You can't throw it in my face." Jennifer's voice rose in anger.
        "Calm down, girl." Her mother sneered. "Yes- everyone in here knows. But no one was there when I had to change his diapers by myself. No one.  So I think I have every right to say what I said."
       "Grandma- you're wrong." Jeremy spoke. His grandmother looked at him with her mouth slightly agape.
        "Jeremy Josiah Davis." His grandmother called him, shock evident in her voice. "How dare you speak to me that way?"
       "Im speaking to you the same way you did Sianna, Grandma. I mean- you didn't even give her a chance. You took one fact about her life and just ruined it. I've never seen you act that way....and to be honest I'm ashamed by how you made her feel." Jeremy said as he looked at his grandmother.
        "I love you, Grandma. But I'm in love with Sianna. And she needs me right now."
         Jeremy didn't turn around as he walked to the parking lot to find his car. When he did, he fished for his keys but realized that he didn't have them.
       "Here." He heard his sisters soft tone behind him. He faced her and saw her looking at him.
        "I thought you might need these." She placed the keys in his hands.
        "Thanks, Giana. How you gonna get home?"
        "I'll ask Uncle Leroy. You know he always has a story to tell. I'll take care of Ma too. Also- your gifts will be at my apartment. But if something goes missing....don't look for it."
        He gave her a smile. His sister was one of the few people that could make him smile, even when he wasn't in the mood to do so.
       Hugging her, he made sure that she was inside of the restaurant before getting into his car. After backing out of the space, he immediately drove to where he knew his girl would be.

                                   ***
        Sianna had just gotten out of the shower. Her day had been long and the dinner just made her overwhelmed and over worked.
        She had called her mom as she drove to the hotel because her emotions were to great to hold in. Her mother was angry and wanted to come to her daughters defense. But, Sianna calmed her by telling her how she handed the situation.
       I'm not even sure if I handled it right, she thought to herself as she grabbed her scarf to tie it on her head.
        As she did so, Jeremy's grandmother's face flashed in her mind and she tucked her lips to the side. That lady has control issues, she thought as she put cocoa butter on her body.
        After she was dressed, she sat on the bed and cut on the television. She found a random channel that had and old tv show on and began to watch it.
       A knock on her door made her look towards it. She had ordered room service for  herself and was eager to eat her food.
        "Who is it?" She yelled once she made it to the door.
        "Room service."
        Opening the door, her eyes widened in surprise when she saw Jeremy standing there with her food on the tray.
       Allowing him to enter, she shut the door and locked it behind her.
        "Jeremy, what are you doing here?" She said looking at him.
        "Baby I had to come see you." He said as he faced her. His hand grabbed her own. "Plus, you're a woman in this hotel- alone. I wasn't about to let you sleep alone in a place you don't know."
        It was then she noticed he had a duffle bag in his hands. Their eyes locked and Sianna's heart began to race. The way he was looking at her, had her mind racing. She'd felt things before- but this feeling was totally different.
        "Thanks." She said as she took the uncovered the tray and began to eat her burger and fries.
        "How's Giana?" She asked. Gabriel's face lit up in a smile as he sat down beside her.
        "She's fine and she adores you." He said taking one of her fries.
       "Do you want half?" Sianna pointed to the burger. "I know I can't eat this all."
        Jeremy nodded and the pair began to eat. He watched her as she was content with her headscarf on and pajamas. It was the first time he'd seen her in her night wear and the fact that she wasn't scared or shy, made him see her as even more beautiful.
       Feeling his gaze, Sianna looked at Jeremy.
        "Why are you staring?" She asked.
        "I'm just admiring your beauty and this scarf." He said as he touched her scarf.
         Sianna blushed at his words. The pair finished eating and Jeremy took his shower. When he got out, Sianna was sitting criss crossed on the bed.
        She watched silently as he sat in the bed next to her.
         "I can sleep on the couch if you aren't comfortable." He said.
        Sianna looked at him. The pair hadn't been sexually active and didn't plan on doing so until there were rings on their fingers.
        "No. It's your graduation night. You can sleep in here with me."
        Jeremy nodded and the pair got into the bed. He easily slipped his arms around her waist and felt her relax.
        They talked and watched television until he heard the soft snores of his girlfriend.
       He looked down at her deep melanin skin and admired her. He knew that he was blessed to have her. And he promised to do right by her.
        He kissed her forehead before he snuggled next to her before allowing the excitement of his day to follow him into his dreams.